PDA

View Full Version : feeling even worse

rainbow
06-11-04, 22:07
Hi,
When i introduced myself i explained that i had just started taking citalopram for PND and anxiety and that i was having bad side effects, upset stomach, nausea,headaches,dizziness,not sleeping well and lastly
increased anxiety. I went to the doctors on Monday and explained all this and she asked me what i wanted to do and after talking it through i decided to persevere. I also started back at my work on Tuesday after 16 months maternity leave and started a new position. I went back to my doctors again on Thursday, mainly because of the anxiety due to having IBS and worrying that there was something seriously wrong only to be told by the fifth doctor that i've seen about this that i'm ok. Still find myself worrying though! I really don't think i can take much more of feeling this way and am not sure that i'll be able to continue with the medication. Has anyone else had these side effects with citalopram and if so how long did it last.

Thanks for any replies.

Tracey.

seh1980
06-11-04, 23:55
hi Tracey,

I'm on Cipralex, which is the new version of Citalopram. I had the same side effects that you describe at the beginning. Mine lasted for about 2-3 weeks. It is always difficult when going on any meds so don't worry!! I'm sure the nasty side effects will pass soon and you will start to feel better!!

Sarah :D

sal
07-11-04, 02:44
Hi Tracey

I know exactly how you feel, i am on the same medication and when i first got it over 3 years ago i gave up after 10 days as i thought i was dying. So last year when a new doctor said try it again i thought i couldnt do it but felt so bad couldnt see any other option. She reassured me and gave me a really low dose and this time it was a lot easier.

When i look back now i cant believe how bad i felt with it first time round, i really thought i was losing it, but now i can see the difference it has made to my life.

It takes time and if suited to you will make you feel so much better once the side affects have passed.

Take care.

Love Sal xxxxx

rainbow
07-11-04, 08:53
Thanks Sal and Sarah for your prompt replies, I think the thing that is getting to me most is the constant upset stomach every morning, i have to go to the bathroom about 3/4 times. As i said i just just can't shake the worry that i have bowel cancer, but have had reassurance from almost every doctor at the practise. I know that if they were concerned that they would send me to the hospital for tests but this is almost becoming an obsession, starting to take over my life.
Hopefully things will improve in the next few days. Thanks again for your encouraging words.

Tracey. xx

seh1980
08-11-04, 01:13
hi Tracey,

I hope you feel better soon hun!! Do let us know how you are getting on.

Sarah :D