PDA

View Full Version : Dad's health

Anxiouscow
26-06-17, 19:24
A bit of a weird one. I've had health anxiety about myself before, but never parent. Here goes.

My Dad is 68 (69 in July), and although he isn't the healthiest man in the world, he hasn't smoked since 2003 (the age of 55), and hasn't drank alcohol since 1998 (age of 50). He has heart problems managed by medications and type two diabetes, which is also treated with medication and lowering sugar intake.

Although he has these ailments, he still is fit for his age, does nearly all of his housework and drives to Germany and back to see his family every summer and winter. He also walks his dog once a day (I walk her at night), and in most people's eyes, acts more like a 50 year old than a 68 year old.

However, I know that age isn't always just a number and I'm worried about him dying prematurely. I know his ailments are treated and he has blood tests twice a year (all of them came up clear in March), but I cannot get things out of my head. Stomach and pancreatic cancer are doing my head in.

Any advice for lowering my anxiety levels? He isn't concerned at all about his health so he told me.

Melonpony
26-06-17, 19:40
Well, he sounds healthy to me. I understand what you mean bc my parents have their health challenges. My dad has renal failure and goes to dialysis 3x a week bc his kidneys don't work. My mom had a stroke and bladder cancer 2 years ago and a stroke and heart surgery (double bypass) about 15 years ago.
It's IMPOSSIBLE not to worry about our aging parents, I have found. ALL you can do is help them as much as you can, and spend as much time with them as you can. That is it.
I manage my grief and sorrow surrounding their ill health through yoga, meditation, sending them money and gifts, visiting them, and making sure they know I love them.
What you're experiencing is anxiety from not acknowledging your grief, fear, and sadness over their mortality.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk