PDA

View Full Version : Coping with referrals further investigations for IBS

worryingmum
26-06-17, 20:37
Hi Everyone :)

This is my first post here and was looking for some feedback on how other people with health anxiety manage when their GP does refer for other tests like scans? Do you feel relieved that they are taking you seriously or do you feel nervous and more anxious?

The reason I ask is I went to see my GP today about worsening/change in my usual IBS symptoms. For the past few weeks i've had more pain in my stomach/bowels which lasts longer than before and isn't really helped by going to the toilet like textbook IBS is.. I was sure he would just reassure me, perhaps prescribe some other meds (I currently take Buscopan) and send me on my way... but no... he wants me to have an ultrasound of my stomach and an internal ultrasound!!! This has completely freaked me out, I'm of course sure i've either got bowel cancer or ovarian (previously been up there for lighter periods since coming off the pill). I did ask outright and he said no that would be very very unlikely or something like that.

Has anyone else had to go for similar tests for similar symptoms?

Also best to add that my grandad has just passed away from terminal lung cancer so I also thought this could be a factor with my worsening tummy symptoms. I'm pretty devastated tbh (we all helped care for him throughout and he only passed a week ago) I also work in the Oncology Centre and today was my first day back so I just feel really low at the mo and my doctors visit today has left me pretty scared.

Thank you for reading sorry if I've waffled on.

susie1
27-06-17, 18:29
Please don't panic, I have been there. I have had IBS for many years alongside my health anxiety. It ebbs and flows but I have had some bouts that have definitely not been text book. Foer example mine has woken me in the night. Usually I was give Culpermin and Buscopan. I was eventually sent for scans. Once a gp says scan you automatically think 'she thinks it is something more'. She doesn't. She is just going down the accepted est of guidelines. It DOES NOT make it any more likely to be anything other than IBS -

ktdid2000
28-06-17, 14:59
I think they pretty much have to do a test to figure out if anything else is going on - not that they suspect it, just that they have to rule stuff out and the only way to do that is usually through testing.

I agree it is nerve wracking though. It sounds like you've had a really stressful time lately. I can tell you from experience that my stomach almost always acts up when I'm stressed out - and I don't even have officially diagnosed IBS!

worryingmum
28-06-17, 21:21
Thank u for replying guys.... it's exhausting being worried all of the time, at the moment I look forward to night times so I can hopefully sleep and escape. X