PDA

View Full Version : Pencil Thin Stools

BrokenAge
27-06-17, 02:16
I've been fixated on Colon cancer for a few months now. I don't have a real reason why I was so worried about it but I am. My main symptom has just been gas. I always told myself I don't have enough symptoms to worry about Colon cancer but now I suppose I do. I did what almost 90% of everyone with health anxiety does, I Googled it and regretted it. All I saw was Colon cancer, so it prompted me to do some research. It's essentially a tumor in the Colon and it restricts your bowel movements and causes constipation. I try to rationalize with myself and think that if I had a tumor that my poop would always be pencil thin. I just can't be logical with my health anxiety. My diet is absolutely terrible. All Ive eaten is acidic and processed foods but yet I'm so sure I have Colon cancer. I read that it's rare to have colon cancer under the age of 40 but still I'm so sure I have it. I have slight stomach pains for like 30 seconds and I've never had blood in my stool (only when wiping).

j2
27-06-17, 16:55
I had the same fear for months. I added tons of fibre to my diet via metamucil, apples and oatmeal. My stool has mostly returned to normal but I occasionally get the thin stools when I am stressed. I will warn you, that adding tons of fibre will give some flank pain until your body gets used to it.

MyNameIsTerry
27-06-17, 17:00
Maybe you have roids, Nick? Add bad diet (probably a big root cause to the roids) and anxiety and your stools can be all over the place. I've had loose, hard, little, big (& proud :biggrin:), light, dark, etc. Still here though and nothing worse.

You say Colon Cancer pops up but bad diet will be something a doctor will notice straight away.

Also, wouldn't a blockage lead to pain?

Roids stick out, that alone means grooves & shape changes.

I think you've got root causes to investigate that point away from what you fear.

BrokenAge
27-06-17, 17:25
It's just an agonizing feeling to be terrified everything I go to the bathroom. My mind starts racing. Am I bleeding? Is it too small? Does it smell to much? It makes sense to me. My stools are usually normal but now I've been stressing it so I've had narrow stools now (twice). I haven't been really having the need to poop so I've been reminding myself to go poop and not much comes up. A little chunk, and then a narrow piece and my mind starts freaking out.

ktdid2000
28-06-17, 14:56
My current fear is colon cancer too (a new one for me). I have to say this worry takes the cake both in OCD checking and grossness factor. :(

I've been analyzing my poop for about a month and a half now and I can't figure out why they are softer/more mushy than normal. My brain has run through the gamut of explanations from IBS to UC to CC. I don't go any more often and sometimes they are normal (for me), but it seems like at least one per day (I go twice a day usually) will be sort of a mushy consistency. It's freaking me out.

I went to the GI twice now and he told me it's normal and just based on what people eat and nothing to be worried about. He said he would be concerned about going more often or suddenly being constipated or having diarrhea for weeks on end. I don't notice any blood but I asked him do a stool blood test just to be safe. Ultrasound and blood work so far has come back normal.

If it helps any my poops pretty much went back to normal right away after adding metamucil fiber. I was worried I was masking a symptom, but the GI told me if I had an underlying problem extra fiber would NOT make the poop go back to normal.

I'm only 35, but apparently it's time for a fiber supplement, although the doc thinks mushy is OK. :shrug:

Capercrohnj
28-06-17, 21:01
Maybe you have roids, Nick? Add bad diet (probably a big root cause to the roids) and anxiety and your stools can be all over the place. I've had loose, hard, little, big (& proud :biggrin:), light, dark, etc. Still here though and nothing worse.

You say Colon Cancer pops up but bad diet will be something a doctor will notice straight away.

Also, wouldn't a blockage lead to pain?

Roids stick out, that alone means grooves & shape changes.

I think you've got root causes to investigate that point away from what you fear.
Bowel obstructions/blockages even partial ones cause excruciating pain.