PDA

View Full Version : Can't stop the thoughts

sheslostcontrol
27-06-17, 07:08
Hi (again). :)

So, I'm not sure if this belongs into GAD (or maybe OCD or DR/DP), but I've been struggling with it for a couple of days and that is intrusive thoughts. Somewhat intrusive.

I've been doing fine more or less with my anxiety for the past few days, my dedication to get better has worked, I don't feel that much fear and panic anymore.

Anyway, yesterday I looked at myself in the mirror and thought 'hmm, maybe I've really lost some weight after all' and that scared me (on a normal day, I'd just tell myself 'wishful thinking' and move on, but no) because I got worried that my perception of life etc is after all changing and I'm going to lose my mind etc. Or today I was on the bus, just the one I used to take to go to school and it reminded me of that and I was trying hard to remember whether my thoughts were always like this etc. I also worry a lot about losing my memory all out of sudden, forgetting where I am, who I am, feeling unfamiliar etc. (I know for one my perception of lfe hasn't really changed and my behaviour is pretty much the same as it used to be before my anxiety stepped in.)

Anyone else experience a similar thing? How do you shake it off (I find that literally shaking it off helps sometimes)?

Have a nice day. :)

PunkyFish
28-06-17, 18:47
Hi (again). :)

So, I'm not sure if this belongs into GAD (or maybe OCD or DR/DP), but I've been struggling with it for a couple of days and that is intrusive thoughts. Somewhat intrusive.

I've been doing fine more or less with my anxiety for the past few days, my dedication to get better has worked, I don't feel that much fear and panic anymore.

Anyway, yesterday I looked at myself in the mirror and thought 'hmm, maybe I've really lost some weight after all' and that scared me (on a normal day, I'd just tell myself 'wishful thinking' and move on, but no) because I got worried that my perception of life etc is after all changing and I'm going to lose my mind etc. Or today I was on the bus, just the one I used to take to go to school and it reminded me of that and I was trying hard to remember whether my thoughts were always like this etc. I also worry a lot about losing my memory all out of sudden, forgetting where I am, who I am, feeling unfamiliar etc. (I know for one my perception of lfe hasn't really changed and my behaviour is pretty much the same as it used to be before my anxiety stepped in.)

Anyone else experience a similar thing? How do you shake it off (I find that literally shaking it off helps sometimes)?

Hi :)

I've had intrusive thoughts in the past, most recently last year. They are horrible. My intrusive thoughts would just randomly be in my head all the time. I use to try and distract myself from them and then learnt to just simply accept the thoughts for what they are, try and pay no attention to them and then simply just let the thought exist in your head but try and pay no attention to it. It is hard I know! This did work for me for a while but I was eventually put on medication for depression which stopped the thoughts all together.

There seems to be a popular technique called Mindfullness which I have heard is good for intrusive thoughts. There are many articles and videos over the internet which can help you get started and introduce you to the concept of it.

Also cognitive behavioral therapy can help you learn how to deal with these thoughts? I would maybe speak to a therapist or a doctor who could also point you in the right direction.

All the best. :)

sheslostcontrol
28-06-17, 21:12
Hi :)

I've had intrusive thoughts in the past, most recently last year. They are horrible. My intrusive thoughts would just randomly be in my head all the time. I use to try and distract myself from them and then learnt to just simply accept the thoughts for what they are, try and pay no attention to them and then simply just let the thought exist in your head but try and pay no attention to it. It is hard I know! This did work for me for a while but I was eventually put on medication for depression which stopped the thoughts all together.

There seems to be a popular technique called Mindfullness which I have heard is good for intrusive thoughts. There are many articles and videos over the internet which can help you get started and introduce you to the concept of it.

Also cognitive behavioral therapy can help you learn how to deal with these thoughts? I would maybe speak to a therapist or a doctor who could also point you in the right direction.

All the best. :)

Thank you for your response. :)

You're right about accepting them, as they are just thoughts and they happen to everyone at times, only the reaction of anxious people to them is usually different (at least I get worried about them and obsess about them, which I never would have done just four months ago).

I'm seeing a therapist as well as a psychiatrist, tried AD's, but felt horrible, so I decided to give myself another try at fixing it. :) Mindfulness is good and helpful.