PDA

View Full Version : Prednisolone

Benjammin69
27-06-17, 11:32
Hi all,

I have a rather nasty infection and my throats closed up yesterday so got seen at a&e and they have given me a weeks worth of steroids (prednisolone) - I took my first batch last night and this morning I woke up feeling a bit funny. I've read side effects and they are scary!!! Depression, anxiety , psychosis etc. Anyone taken this before noticed anything like that? Should I be going to my doctors to ask for something else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyNameIsTerry
27-06-17, 13:29
I've taken steroids many times when I was younger as chest infections were harder to deal with as my asthma was worse at the time.

Depression tends to come more from steroid withdrawal and this is for those on longer term treatments (> 30 days I think).

With some courses you will taper down at the end to prevent side effects.

My advice is to take them. They will quickly deal with the inflammation.

Steroid prescription is very common and children frequently use them.

Benjammin69
27-06-17, 13:53
Thank you MNIT

Always sound advice from yourself

MyNameIsTerry
27-06-17, 16:54
No worries, Ben, just glad to help.

Steroids & antibiotics can make you feel off when you start them. Just keep going. If something starts to show like a side effect that's worrying just ask your GP or even pharmacist for advice. It probably won't, I've always found steroid treatments do less in terms of GI issues but can make you tired.

Really though, don't drink on them. I did that once when I thought I'd given them long enough to exit my system and I got drunk very quickly on leas than normal. Not a good night for toilet bowls! :biggrin:

They can cause some issues with healthy bacteria in the body but I've only ever had that with oral thrush because I use steroid inhalers.

And anxiety does love to make us worry about taking a med so there is always that element to consider.

Benjammin69
27-06-17, 16:56
No worries, Ben, just glad to help.

Steroids & antibiotics can make you feel off when you start them. Just keep going. If something starts to show like a side effect that's worrying just ask your GP or even pharmacist for advice. It probably won't, I've always found steroid treatments do less in terms of GI issues but can make you tired.

Really though, don't drink on them. I did that once when I thought I'd given them long enough to exit my system and I got drunk very quickly on leas than normal. Not a good night for toilet bowls! :biggrin:

They can cause some issues with healthy bacteria in the body but I've only ever had that with oral thrush because I use steroid inhalers.

And anxiety does love to make us worry about taking a med so there is always that element to consider.

Cheers mate : I've had this tonsilitus for a month now, I had oral thrush too from too many antibiotics but obviously yesterday when my throat closed up the hospital wouldn't risk it. I'm normally ok with meds but some times when I'm feeling this run down and on 'different meds' than my usual I can go in to a depressive 'state' of mind :-( so staying positive it's only 5 days of steroids so 4 more to go I suppose. Yeah pretty edgy and tired today but to be expected really wth the pills I'm shoving down me neck! [emoji23]

panic_down_under
27-06-17, 23:09
I've read side effects and they are scary!!! Depression, anxiety , psychosis etc.

You don't want to read about aspirin side-effects then Ben! :ohmy:

And I hasten to add that very few experience any of them, just as most have no problems taking prednisolone.

I'm normally ok with meds but some times when I'm feeling this run down and on 'different meds' than my usual I can go in to a depressive 'state' of mind

Infections can do that. In many respects anxiety and depression are immune system disorders and an immune system in overdrive combating an infection can trigger a worsening of these disorders. Some of the immune proteins also reduce antidepressant effectiveness too.

Benjammin69
03-07-17, 18:06
Hi Both,

So the inevitable has happened finished my course of steroids on Saturday and boy am I unwell.... cold sweats, clammy, exhaustion, lethargic, tiredness even walking is a mission it basically mimics clinical depression without the suicidal thoughts. Doctor has re Instated me and we are having to taper off? As my med gurus - is this normal? Also when will I stabilise? I've withdrawn from many things in life but this is a joke.

MyNameIsTerry
03-07-17, 19:15
Usually a short course is ok (only in my experience) but I noticed you were on a strong dosage which may be the reason.

Your doctor is doing the sensible thing. Some courses I've been on meant a taper where you reduce the pill by one per day.

Everything you say sounds like withdrawal to me and your doctor obviously knows it is. Another member was on a longer course and needed to taper. She dropped too harshly at first and experienced similiar to you.

Benjammin69
04-07-17, 07:33
Usually a short course is ok (only in my experience) but I noticed you were on a strong dosage which may be the reason.

Your doctor is doing the sensible thing. Some courses I've been on meant a taper where you reduce the pill by one per day.

Everything you say sounds like withdrawal to me and your doctor obviously knows it is. Another member was on a longer course and needed to taper. She dropped too harshly at first and experienced similiar to you.

Oh my goodness - yesterday was a terrible day I can only describe it as pure evil. I reinstated yesterday at 30mg for 3 days then 25 for 3 days, so on so on.. but I'm much better today albeit I'm still a bit sore and not 100% with it but compared to yesterday miles better.

Thanks Terry for helping me out mate just being able to sound it off and talk to ya helped me out - it's so scary when shit like this happens as everything seems to mimic anxiety and depression... so automatically I think I'm heading down that deep dark hole again but least after reinstatement I'm seeming to stabilise. Even 10mg Diaz didn't touch the sides yesterday I was so unwell.

MyNameIsTerry
04-07-17, 07:56
No worries mate.

I've just checked the threads of the other member I saw experience it. She had been on 3 months and was reducing but the taper was too sharp and her anxiety spiked, she had depression symptoms, fatigue, stomach problems. As soon as her doctor adjusted her taper it got better.

I'm glad you are feeling better. That's an obvious nod towards it being the steroids.

I know what you mean about sinking. I'm much better than I was back then but I remember how any blip brought the dread back and I was fighting through until it eased off. I think everyone on here would understand that one!

Benjammin69
04-07-17, 08:15
No worries mate.

I've just checked the threads of the other member I saw experience it. She had been on 3 months and was reducing but the taper was too sharp and her anxiety spiked, she had depression symptoms, fatigue, stomach problems. As soon as her doctor adjusted her taper it got better.

I'm glad you are feeling better. That's an obvious nod towards it being the steroids.

I know what you mean about sinking. I'm much better than I was back then but I remember how any blip brought the dread back and I was fighting through until it eased off. I think everyone on here would understand that one!

So true it is like that it doesn't help I've had tonsilitus for 4 weeks straight so I have been on so many antibiotics -but your right when ever you feel rough or down automatically panic stations and oh no it's back. I think once life has exposed you to that deep dark place it's a scary place to ever consider being again especially when you've had a relapse.

Anyway everything is pointing to the steroids as today I'm much more with it and stable and yesterday I didn't even manage to get out of bed and was late for work and at work I sat there a cold sweating wreck!

Yeah I'm tapering 5mg per 3 days which isn't bad as I was only on them7 days at 40mg which seems to be the issue.