PDA

View Full Version : Any Christians here?

Eventhesparrows
27-06-17, 18:27
Do you struggle with guilt because of your worry/anxiety?

I do.

Right now I'm in the thick of it with sudden dizziness that's causing my number one fear to come to the surface again (I was doing pretty well there for a while!) - the fear of having a brain tumor.

Maybe it's because I'm a mother of 3 small children (ages 6, 4, and 1) and the thought of not being there for them saddens me. I often have thoughts of saying goodbye while lying in a bed, or thoughts of having to tell my children what's going on, and them being sad. Spending my final days wishing I had more time with them, ect. Even typing this brings tears to my eyes.

Maybe it's because I treasure my marriage and relish the thought of growing old with my husband. But I'm often filled with thoughts of me saying goodbye to him, lying in bed, reflecting on all of the good times we've had together...wishing for more time with him. Seeing him getting married to another woman in my mind - the new mother to my children. Again...typing this with tear filled eyes.

And then, I remember that Jesus himself told us not to worry (Matthew 6:25-34) - over and over again the Bible talks about reasons why we shouldn't fear. And when fear fills my mind, body, soul, and spirit....I feel like a failure. Even into the depths of my spirit, I am downcast. I mean, I'm a Christian. If anyone should have hope, IT SHOULD BE ME!

I often fear that because of my disobedience, the Lord will allow the very thing I fear the most to come to pass in my life - simply to draw me away from my idols and draw me closer to Him. I fear He is disappointed in me. And while at times that may be true, it just reminds me how much there is for me still to learn about God's character.

If we, health anxiety sufferers, view this as an actual disease - anxiety, OCD, whatever - then we must think that God hurts for us. Scripture says that He is a good father, that knows the desires of our hearts. And like any good father, He desires to give good gifts to his children. (Matthew 7:8-11). So if I am, in fact, diagnosed with my biggest fear...then somehow, someway, it's a gift. And not only a gift, but a GOOD gift. Romans 8:28 tells us "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." In ALL things. Even the bad things. Even the scary things.

But, if we view this fear as idol based (I cherish my life, my children, my spouse, ect. more than God's will and plan for my life) - maybe He will humble us? Just as He did the Israelites? Like any good father, He disciplines His children - those He loves - so that we will no longer live in sin, but draw nearer to Him - in full reliance and trust. And this may just be a bigger fear than my biggest fear. That I, somehow, brought this upon myself (if, in fact, my biggest fear becomes a reality).

While I do believe I have a disease (OCD), I also believe that there are things in my life I need to surrender, and learn to trust in God more - not in myself, my way, my control, my wants and desires. Because while I know and believe that God's plans for my life are better than my own, it's hard to let go. Extremely hard. But when we let go, our Heavenly Father's loving arms are right there to catch us.

But here I am. Posting on here...in the thick of it. Struggling with all that I am to let go, trust in God, and pray for the best.

In Christ,

Eventhesparrows.

meant2live
27-06-17, 19:18
I feel like I could have written this post myself.

At this point, I only have a toddler, but I'm hoping to have more children in the future.

Anytime I am sure that I have this disease or that disease, I start the whole thought process of how I will have to say goodbye to my husband and daughter. I begin to think that maybe God is doing this to help me to let go of control or because He has other plans for my family after I'm gone.

I know that God loves us beyond our understanding, but it is difficult to trust Him in the midst of health anxiety and other actual health problems.

I truly hope that I can some day get better at this. I often think of this prayer from the Gospel according to Mark, "Lord I believe, help my unbelief."

I guess all I'm saying is that you're not alone and I hope we can both learn to trust God more.

Goblin88
27-06-17, 19:51
I’d recommend you watch Pastor Steven Furticks “how to be brave” and “functional faith” sermons, I think each series has 3-4 sermons. They’re all in youtube. Also, Joseph Prince’s messages(also on YouTube) have helped me a lot as well.

He loves you!

Eventhesparrows
27-06-17, 20:12
Thank you for the encouragement. I will look up those sermons.