PDA

View Full Version : How to take mind off health concerns / symptoms?

Hayjay
27-06-17, 20:08
Hi everyone

I've been diagnosed with LPR after four months of horrible globus sensations. I've had a throat ultrasound, camera down throat and various blood tests, all came back fine with ENT eventually giving me a leaflet about LPR and sending me on my way.

I feel like my symptoms have got worse since I had the camera which was last Wednesday. Since then I've been following the ENT doc's advice to take Gaviscon Advance after every meal plus sip water all day. Now I just feel sick and the globus is horrendous what with all the swallowing I'm doing thanks to sipping water constantly. It's worse when I talk, or turn my head downwards towards my chest.

I know what I've got isn't life threatening and I'm dealing with it, but how can I take my mind off these ever present symptoms?

Feeling really down today and can't concentrate on anything except what's going on with my throat.

I keep thinking this awful LPR is going to last forever and I'm never going to get back to normal. I eat really healthily (basically eating bland low acid things now), don't smoke and have had probably only a handful of alcoholic drinks this year. I even tried to cut out caffeine at the weekend completely (I only drink tea not coffee), but that resulted in chronic migraines so I've gone back to one cup of tea per day. Seriously the thought of giving that up is making me want to break down and cry.

I daren't eat or drink anything that might give me reflux, not that I would know as I have silent reflux.

Is my anxiety making these symptoms worse than what they really are? How do you take the edge of your health anxiety when symptoms are present so you can get on with everyday life?

Fishmanpa
27-06-17, 20:16
I've been following the ENT doc's advice to take Gaviscon Advance after every meal plus sip water all day.

That's all he said to do?... What about an OTC or prescription PPI (Zantac etc.)? Also, look into the FODMAP diet. It's helped both my wife and I with our reflux issues.

Positive thoughts

Hayjay
27-06-17, 20:27
Thanks for replying Fishmanpa. My GP suspected acid reflux when I first went so put me on omeprazole in March. It didn't seem to work so I swapped to something called Motillium which makes food digest quicker apparently.

I'm still on that, but ENT said when that runs out (in a week or so) it's just Gaviscon Advance.

I will look into the FODMAP diet thanks. Is there a website you'd recommend to look at as a first step?

Fishmanpa
27-06-17, 20:40
This is the site (http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/) we referred to. You should keep a food diary as well to determine what foods in particular cause you discomfort.

Positive thoughts

Hayjay
27-06-17, 20:44
Thanks Fishmanpa :)