PDA

View Full Version : Low Defenses

Vikingbeast
28-06-17, 13:49
Anyone else here notice something? Two things, actually.........

First - Does your HA seem to flair up worse when you're tired? I've been off work for a week and a half and although one would think this would be a time of resting and mind-clearing (and to a certain extent, it is) I establish myself projects around the house that are physically demanding most of the time. Adding to that throwing in my regular exercise routines, I get worn down physically. I'm 57, and yesterday I had a minor painting project, another project outside, plus did two workouts and played basketball. And now my HA is cropping up when it has been relatively in check.

Second - seems to me that those of us with HA (just my opinion) are smart, problem-solving freaks, and have anxiety about other things too rather than just HA. Do you agree? Do you think HA is a manifestation of being a type of person who tends to worry about stuff right from the start rather than thinking things through? I'm that way.

Hope I explained all this right.

Cakelady
28-06-17, 22:32
I am worse when tired but then get more exhausted by worrying!
Haha, personally speaking, don't know about smart but yes I will go to panic mode & struggle to find a rational explanation for all sorts of things in my life & the wider world. Think sometimes it would be nice just to turn my brain off!:doh:

Vikingbeast
29-06-17, 00:00
I am worse when tired but then get more exhausted by worrying!
Haha, personally speaking, don't know about smart but yes I will go to panic mode & struggle to find a rational explanation for all sorts of things in my life & the wider world. Think sometimes it would be nice just to turn my brain off!:doh:

Yes, it would be nice to just have a "switch" to turn on and off the brain!

NervUs
29-06-17, 03:17
Second - seems to me that those of us with HA (just my opinion) are smart, problem-solving freaks, and have anxiety about other things too rather than just HA. Do you agree? Do you think HA is a manifestation of being a type of person who tends to worry about stuff right from the start rather than thinking things through? I'm that way.

I am a social theory nerd, and this inspired me to look up some of my favorite social theorists and hypochondria.

Turns out some of the biggest thinkers had hypochondria. OMG people like Voltaire, Karl Marx, Charles Darwin, and Karl Polanyi. Doesn't answer your question, of course, but OMG. I am floored.

As to me, most definitely not the biggest thinker, lol....yes, I am analytical as all get out, but creative too. I am a worrier and catastrophizer independent of health. The hypochondria is what made me see it and that it has been a life long problem.

Vikingbeast
29-06-17, 12:54
I am a social theory nerd, and this inspired me to look up some of my favorite social theorists and hypochondria.

Turns out some of the biggest thinkers had hypochondria. OMG people like Voltaire, Karl Marx, Charles Darwin, and Karl Polanyi. Doesn't answer your question, of course, but OMG. I am floored.

As to me, most definitely not the biggest thinker, lol....yes, I am analytical as all get out, but creative too. I am a worrier and catastrophizer independent of health. The hypochondria is what made me see it and that it has been a life long problem.

That's us! Creative people create many good things, but can create catastrophe also. Who was it, Mark Twain, who said that (something like this), I have lived a long time and experienced many terrible things, most of which never happened!

Chrysoprase
29-06-17, 13:23
For what it's worth I absolutely get worse when I'm tired. If I'm well rested and have a pain in my body I ignore it or take a Tylenol and move on. If I'm tired and have the same pain i end up crying on the floor in fear! A good night of rest often goes a long way with my health anxiety.

As for having other factors at play besides just health anxiety: I have severe OCD and I'm on the autism spectrum, and both of these things sort of manifest into health anxiety in different ways. As well as lots of other kinds of anxiety!

Vikingbeast
29-06-17, 14:04
For what it's worth I absolutely get worse when I'm tired. If I'm well rested and have a pain in my body I ignore it or take a Tylenol and move on. If I'm tired and have the same pain i end up crying on the floor in fear! A good night of rest often goes a long way with my health anxiety.

As for having other factors at play besides just health anxiety: I have severe OCD and I'm on the autism spectrum, and both of these things sort of manifest into health anxiety in different ways. As well as lots of other kinds of anxiety!

Thanks for sharing your experience!