PDA

View Full Version : feeding the fear...

loz04
06-11-04, 23:22
hey everyone,
im writing to let you know wot i discovered a few months ago that has helped me understand how our phobias work.
I get panic attacks from bein scared of bein ill.
sometimes my panic attacks can b so bad that i start 2 actually feel unwell, even though i know im perfectly fine. a few months ago i got into a huge state and suddenly it hit me....why, if im so afraid of feeling and being unwell, am i putting myself through this? if im so afraid why am i worrying so much that im making it worse? the thing i've learnt is that by worrying you're feeding the fear. i kept thinking, if i'd not worried i wud have felt fine all along n that im putting myself through this for absoultely nothing, apart from causing myself traumer.

Whilst you are terrified of your fear, your fear thrives on winding u up. i comes alive when you worry and the more you worry, the more strength your fear is and the weaker you become. by thinking your fear is a moster inside you trying to beat you and take over you, you can better think of how to fight it...that by not worrying, the fear has nothing...no power, no strength and you have complete control. by feeding the fear you're making something that you're worried about more likely to happen, for example, worrying about having a panic attack in the street infront of people and being stranded, of worrying about feeling ill n then making you'rself panic so much that it starts 2 come alive inside your mind. If you can vision a monster and you're trying to fight it by just saying "no" the fear has no option but to bury itself.

only you have the power within you to beat your monster. only you can control the amount of power your fear has over you. everytime i panic now i keep saying over and over "dont feed the fear, dont feed the fear. the whole state of panic and fear will go away if i stop worrying." you have to know that you're only feeling in a state of panic because of the thoughts you are having and if those thoughts were to go away, you will calm down and realise there was nothing to worry about, it was just the fear trying to beat you.

I know it's difficult to just switch off the worrying and i know sometimes we dont feel strong enough, trust me, i still panic all the time, even tho i know this, but it's something knew that iv learnt through my years of panic attacks and i wanted 2 share it with everyone else, so hopefully when you panic you can try this method and see if it works for you.

xxx

seh1980
06-11-04, 23:35
Amen to that Loz :)

Meg
06-11-04, 23:44
You're absolutely right.

Well done for practicing to implement it Loz.

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.

sal
07-11-04, 02:02
Hi Loz

Dont think anyone could have put it any better than you have. You are so right and it is a good reminder that it cant beat us however hard it tries, it is down to us to stop it.

Thanks for that post, it has really made me think and hopefully soon i will get too sleep.

Love Sal xxxxx

pips
07-11-04, 11:47
So very true Loz. Your mind is a powerful thing!

Thanks for the inspiring post.

Take care

Love PIP'S XX

jill
07-11-04, 18:55
Hi Loz,

[Wow!]soooooooo TRUE.[^]

Thank you Loz.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

"Every thought you think changes your biochemistry.
Your hormones are effected by your thoughts.
Pay attention to stuff that bring you joy.
Look for things that bring you a smile"