PDA

View Full Version : Lupin Flour - Be Careful

shakey1961
29-06-17, 05:58
Hi everyone, hope you're all coping.

Just wanted to inform you of a bad experience I've had.

As you know I have to follow a gluten free diet and it's almost cured the anxiety and panic - I follow it really strictly. However, a couple of years ago when wanting a treat I bought some Tesco gluten and milk free "cornetto" type ice-cream. Very tasty.

Next thing I know I'm feeling ill. Felt anxious and itchy and really unwell. I look through the ingredients and it has Lupin flour in it. I saw my GP and he said that some people are allergic to it.

I don't want to eat a flower, I want to look at it in the garden!

So... yesterday I was feeling breathless and not too good. Couldn't put my finger on it. In the afternoon I helped a friend with her moderately heavy shopping. Never had a problem before.

On getting back in my friends car I end up panicking 3 times as I couldn't get my breath.

I then noticed my stomach became very bloated, which is usually a sign I've eaten gluten, but I knew I definitely hadn't. This was soon after I'd eaten some gluten free crackers, so I looked at the packet.

"May contain traces of lupine" it said. I'm like WTF - there's my problem. More lupin flour that made me ill last time.

If you do watch your diet, please have a look at labels. Lupin flour is mainly a European thing, but it is being increasingly used in the UK.

Thankfully, I'm starting to feel better. So annoyed.