PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else overeat their anxiety??

Worrywart1234
30-06-17, 09:07
I've been feeling a bit on edge all afternoon and because of it I've eaten a whole packet of ravioli, a half block of chocolate, biscuits and a few slices of cold left over pizza....and I'm getting so fat!
Does anyone else do the same to cope with their anxiety? Can anyone suggest a more productive way of coping?

TheGroundhog
30-06-17, 09:15
Yes, me! And it's not a good habit. As soon as the anxiety kicks in, I reach for food, usually sugar as I know it will make me feel better, (though later on and in the long run it makes it worse). 'Potatoes not Prozac' is an interesting read, though it's more sugar addiction than general over eating. But it does explain links between sugar and mood (and if you reach for anything high-carb, that classes as sugar, it doesn't have to be sweet). I should revisit it really, it was really helpful when I did it.

Worrywart1234
30-06-17, 09:22
Potatoes not Prozac! I may get a tattoo of that phrase lol I'm going to look up that book :)

AussieWorrier
30-06-17, 12:26
I'm the opposite I can literally go without food for hours when I'm worried

Bigboyuk
30-06-17, 12:43
Well I am recovering (OA) Over Eater and got some really good help via Over Eaters Anonymous it's a support group in the UK and other countries and is based around a 12 step programme that the AA set up many years ago Very supportive and help0ful so for me its one day at a time and have lost 5 stone over many years, It's comfort eating and in a way a form of self harm too, so do check out the OA website for details of a group near to you. So folks, just for today I wont over eat Yay Cheers

NervUs
30-06-17, 13:00
I am also the opposite. I lose my appetite when anxious. Getting into a bad HA spiral is the only time I'm ever able to lose weight, lol

Kay8010
30-06-17, 16:07
I do and still currently doing so - dont get too alarmed but I have gained approximately 3.5 stone since October 2016 till now, my Dr is not impressed!!!! - I am trying to cut down BUT when the anxiety is there the only thing that makes me less worried is food.

Fishmanpa
30-06-17, 16:24
I was the opposite when I was going through all the stress of my wife's illness. I lost close to 20 pounds! I was nauseous and had no appetite. And when I did eat?... I just could get more than a few mouthfuls into me.

Positive thoughts

Bigboyuk
30-06-17, 17:53
I do and still currently doing so - dont get too alarmed but I have gained approximately 3.5 stone since October 2016 till now, my Dr is not impressed!!!! - I am trying to cut down BUT when the anxiety is there the only thing that makes me less worried is food.

Hi Kay I hear you I really do sure it will comfort you but it's not the way to go. I used to eat big to comfort my self I really did Eg 4 sausages, tin of baked beans, 2 fried bread deep fried as was the sausages, 2 eggs and 4 thickly cut pieces of bread with thick butter on it :eek: Thank god I found support and love from Over eaters anonymous I was 5 stone over weight and was In a bad way. Hence my user name lol this was years ago and have lost a impressive 5 stone. I recommend OA to any one who realises they need help, in the past I tried starving my self and diets they work for a while, but didn't change my mind set OA did and so greatful I found them too :) Cheers