PDA

View Full Version : How to stop worrying about speech?

vincy
30-06-17, 15:10
Hi guys. I've posted here about ALS fears before, and I'm sure some of you will remember that, but this is (mostly) unrelated to that.

For over a month now, I've felt like I can't talk properly. Everyone else says my speech is fine.

Considering that its been a month, I AM NOT WORRYING ABOUT ALS. It is still a fear in the back of my mind, but I am quite sure that after a month, somebody else would be able to notice my speech if it was from a progressive disease.

I know from searching extensively through this forum that it is pretty common to have this feeling of being unable to talk properly. The words just don't FEEL like they come out right.

My PCP said I sound perfectly normal to him, but had me schedule an appointment with a speech language pathologist just to make me sure that it is normal.

I am hoping all goes well at that appointment, but until then, how can I stop thinking I can't talk??

I record myself and I sound exactly how I'd expect for the most part...It is just that when I am talking, it doesn't feel right in the moment. I can't stop being fixated on my tongue. Doctor says I have OCD and I'm taking meds for it but it hasn't came into effect yet so I'm not sure how to stop

Fishmanpa
30-06-17, 15:17
I got laid multiple times today I'm keeping a pretty normal life other than my anxiety.

Sex is not a bad distraction if you ask me! :)

Positive thoughts

vincy
01-07-17, 00:11
Sex is not a bad distraction if you ask me! :)

Positive thoughts

my girlfriend is in NY for a bit ;(

and to be completely honest, after posting this i started staring at my tongue in the mirror again worrying about als. ugh

i cant seem to keep it still at rest, but it is mostly larger twitches. there are some small dimply twitches but they DONT quiver back and forth like the youtube videos of people with als tongue fascics. I dont know how i feel about it. It just wont stay still >_<

---------- Post added at 23:11 ---------- Previous post was at 21:10 ----------

My mental state has actually 100% switched since posting this. I am back into a full blown panic over ALS. My tongue just moves SO much. When I protrude it out about half way and hold it a certain way (admittedly, it is just in this one position) it quivers like CRAZY and sort of looks like the fasciculations in people I see on youtube.

It moves quite a bit at rest but nothing like that.

Stuck out completely is when it seems to be the most still ><