PDA

View Full Version : I think my mom has cancer.

Caribou93
30-06-17, 21:45
My mother had an ultrasound and a CT scan a few days ago to see what has been going on with her abdomen lately. She's just been having a few small issues here and there. So they did both tests, and she got the results back and at first her doctor said that she had a cyst on her kidney. Okay, no big deal right. But, her doctor contacted the physician that did the CT scan just to double check and make sure she didn't miss anything.

So she contacted them, and they got back to her. So my mom's doctor said that in fact it was a lesion that they found on one of her kidneys. :ohmy:

That I think can only mean one thing - cancer. I can't believe this is happening to her. She has an MRI in 2 weeks to see what exactly they're looking at and if it's cancerous or not. I'm on edge right now and I don't know how I can cope with it. Her doctor said it's probably nothing - but they always say that and it turns out it's bad. :weep:

Caribou93
01-07-17, 01:54
I asked my mom who wanted to order the follow up MRI and she said that the doctor who did the first CT scan wanted to do the MRI follow up. From what I have heard, the only reason an MRI would be needed for something like this would be if there is a suspicion that cancer is involved. :weep:

I asked her if she had any other tests done and she has had a kidney function test, a urinalysis, and blood work - and all of them were normal according to her.

NervUs
01-07-17, 01:56
I think you are getting ahead of yourself. It's understandable. Unfortunately, it's going to be a few weeks until you have an answer.

Fishmanpa
01-07-17, 02:07
"It's not cancer until they say it's cancer."

Positive thoughts

paranoid-viking
01-07-17, 09:45
Some months ago everyone in the family thought my auntie had developed pancreatic cancer because an ultrasound found something on the pancreas; but a CT revealed it to be just a cyste, not cancer. As Fishmanpa says it is not cancer before the doctors say it is.

cattia
01-07-17, 12:35
A lesion is just a catch all term for any abnormal tissue, which includes cysts. The fact that they said it is a lesion doesn't mean that it still just isn't a cyst. I guess they just want to be sure, but try not to jump to the worst conclusions. I remember reading that a high proportion of people have abnormalities on scans that turn out to be nothing. I had a friend who had an MRI and they found a couple of lesions on his brain. They said in the end that these are actually on loads of people and because most people never have brain MRIs they just never find out about them. After loads more tests, they told him that it was actually nothing to worry about. I know that nobody can tell you for sure whether this is serious or not, but if you can, try to focus on the most positive outcomes of this, as they are still more likely. I know how hard this is for those of us with anxiety so I hope you don't have to wait too long for some solid answers.

Caribou93
01-07-17, 17:40
But, my mother's doctor said she had a cyst at first - so I thought, okay, that's nothing to be that concerned about...just monitor it.

But, then she was looking through the paper work from the doctor who did the CT scan, and it said they called it a lesion. Now, if it was a cyst, wouldn't they just call it a cyst and not a lesion? I guess if they just called it a cyst and that was the end of it, I would be much more relaxed than I am right now.

I asked my mom to call her doctor to see which kidney it was on (my mom didn't ask that question), how big the lesion was, where it was on the kidney, etc. because they would have that type of information available. I'm freaking out about this constantly and my mom is just going on with life as usual because the doctor said don't worry, it's probably nothing. It's just I've heard that so many time from different people and they say it ended up being something serious anyway.

But, thank you all for responding because I don't know who to talk to about it. For once I'm worried about someone else and not myself.

nomorepanic
01-07-17, 17:45
I have an adrenal gland lesion (which is on the kidneys) so this could be what she has?

NancyW
01-07-17, 22:25
I have a lesion on my liver, it's a hemangioma.

snowghost57
01-07-17, 22:29
Like Fish it's not cancer til they said its cancer. This is what anxiety does, our brain jumps to conclusions. You can't let it do that. Focus on the now and let tomorrow unfold on its own. I worked with a woman, they found a spot on her kidney, doctors never found out what it was and she's fine 20 years later.

Caribou93
20-07-17, 00:53
This has just put me into a tailspin frankly. It's like the fear of the unknown. At first when they said it was a cyst, I thought ok, that's totally fine. Then they said it was a lesion - and of course I immediately think that's cancer.

She actually didn't go to the scheduled MRI because she couldn't handle the enclosed space, so she is going next Thursday. I just keep worrying and worrying, and it's not even me. I seem to be doing much worse now that it's not me...

But if I may ask a totally honest question, what would the odds be that it's something serious like cancer, versus something not serious like a cyst or abscess?

Gary A
20-07-17, 01:35
This has just put me into a tailspin frankly. It's like the fear of the unknown. At first when they said it was a cyst, I thought ok, that's totally fine. Then they said it was a lesion - and of course I immediately think that's cancer.

She actually didn't go to the scheduled MRI because she couldn't handle the enclosed space, so she is going next Thursday. I just keep worrying and worrying, and it's not even me. I seem to be doing much worse now that it's not me...

But if I may ask a totally honest question, what would the odds be that it's something serious like cancer, versus something not serious like a cyst or abscess?

It's far far more likely to be a non-issue than a cancer.

A "lesion" is a pretty blanket term in medicine, it just means that there is something there and they're not quite sure what it is.

For instance, a pimple on your skin is technically a lesion. Nobody calls it that because, well, they know what it is. Doctors have had the ability to look at skin with the naked and aided eye for hundreds of years, so they are very in tune with what they're looking at.

CT and MRI imaging is a relatively new thing in medicine, so it's more difficult to pinpoint exactly what a particular "lesion" may be when looking at a scan. A CT scan is a very advanced form of imagery, an MRI is simply better.

This could literally be anything. A cyst, scarring, a stone, an infection, hell, it could be absolutely nothing at all. It's not uncommon for a closer look to show nothing at all.

The fact that bloods and kidney function are normal is also a good indication that this is nothing too sinister. You'd also have to think that the physician who analysed the CT scan would have raised the alarm if they had any suspicion that this was something untoward.

Try not to get too down about this. I know it's hard, but the word "lesion" really sounds a lot scarier than it is.

sdoxo
20-07-17, 01:37
I don't blame her, they freak me out too!

None of us can say what the chances of anything are. It's either bad or it's not. But like others have said, it's not C until they say it is. Don't panic until you have a reason to do so..

Please keep us updated on her results!

TattooArtist
20-07-17, 01:57
Lesion just means an area of skin differing from the skin around it. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. Probably a cyst like the doctor suggested.

ktdid2000
20-07-17, 16:07
When you go in for any kind of imaging you're super likely to find something that's just there - benign and harmless and wouldn't have been found otherwise.

A long time ago I got a head CT for headaches and they found an osteoma (extra bone growth).

I just got an abdominal ultrasound for a bowel issue and they found 2 "lesions" - a henamgiona (I think) on the liver and another thing on my kidney. Both are suspected to be benign and no one even wanted to follow up about it. I've probably had them both for years.

MRI is super clear imaging so it would be easy to tell if it was something to be worried about.

Caribou93
21-07-17, 21:35
Honestly the only thing that is keeping me grounded in any way shape or form was her kidney function being normal. If someone has kidney cancer, is kidney function normal? I know that everyone is different, but I would think that if someone had kidney cancer, then kidney function would be abnormal.

Because my dad had an issue with bleeding when he would urinate. So they did a CT scan of his abdomen along with bloodwork, and he had me read the results for him. It said that kidney function and structure was normal. So I knew he didn't have anything wrong with his kidneys, but it was his bladder in fact.

Anyway, I'm really concerned because what brought her into the doctor's office in the first place was she was having pain around what she thought was her ovaries. They did an ultrasound and nothing by her ovaries was found at all, so they did the CT scan to make sure everything was okay and that's what showed the "lesion". And I read all of these stories about people who had pain in the lower right section of their abdomen and they had a CT scan and the doctor finds a tumor on their kidney incidentally - and it ends up being cancer.

I asked my mom to call her doctor to see if she could tell her anything about the lesion - like what did it look like, which kidney is it on, if it looks fluid filled or solid, etc. It scares me too because for the first time, she actually looks worried, and she never worries. That's why I think she thinks it's something serious. :weep:

Fishmanpa
21-07-17, 22:05
I asked my mom to call her doctor to see if she could tell her anything about the lesion - like what did it look like, which kidney is it on, if it looks fluid filled or solid, etc. It scares me too because for the first time, she actually looks worried, and she never worries. That's why I think she thinks it's something serious. :weep:

With respect, you worrying as much as you are and spilling that onto your Mom probably isn't helping things. I think YOU think it's something more serious than she does.

And btw.. no news is typically good news. If they see something that concerning, they don't leisurely tale their time with appointments and results. I speak from experience.

Try your best to be supportive and confident for your mother. Remember... It's not cancer until they say it is!

Positive thoughts

Caribou93
21-07-17, 23:50
Well if you don't mind I would like to post something about the results on here, and maybe you guys can help me make sense of it...and I don't think it's good.

1. Indeterminate inferior right renal lesion 1.9 cm x 1.7 cm x 1.4 cm needs
additional imaging evaluation with a dedicated renal mass protocol or MRI.

2. Indeterminate right hepatic lesion can also be evaluated with the biphasic
liver protocol or MRI.

Those were the two things that I'm deeply concerned about. It says a right hepatic lesion - and they didn't say anything about a lesion to her on her liver. I found this out by looking on her online chart - with her permission.

---------- Post added at 17:50 ---------- Previous post was at 16:23 ----------

Also, I do understand that it's not cancer until they say it's cancer.

But, I just can't help it - I've started crying because I don't want it to be anything serious. It's honestly easier for me to deal with something when it's my own body, but this isn't me, and that's the worst part about it. :sad:

Fishmanpa
22-07-17, 00:25
With respect Caribou, IMO, there's nothing anyone can say concerning the report nor your anxiety about it. As difficult as it is, you're going to have to deal with it until you hear from the doctors. Hopefully all will be well. If not, you have no other choice but to deal with it, put your anxiety aside and be there for your mother. That's just the reality of the situation.

Positive thoughts

FYI: Reading Dr. Google and NOT FOCUSING ON THE 1% chances, Dr. Google points at worst to a highly probability of a BENIGN Hepatic hemangioma (BENIGN tumor). At worst they can cause some of the symptoms your mother is feeling. definitely treatable with meds. Realistically, most folks over 50 (raising hand) have some medical annoyances we to deal with.

Positive thoughts

Caribou93
27-07-17, 14:55
Thank you very kindly
I honestly appreciate the kind words that you all have been giving me. Today is the day she has her MRI and I'm beyond anxious. My sister is going with her and I was going to go but I didn't want to call in to work. I feel guilty now and I'm upset with myself. Her MRI is at 10:30.

Eventhesparrows
27-07-17, 17:14
Praying for you AND your mom, Caribou. Please let us know what happens. Here's a good song in the meantime, hopefully it will bring you some comfort. It's based on two scripture verses:

Matthew 6:25-27:
New International Version (NIV)

Do Not Worry
25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[a]?

and

Matthew 10:29-31
New International Version (NIV)

29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care.[a] 30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

Here is the link to the video/song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRJZQFRyZ6s&list=PL5xe1-ceBHTuDanvl4qFZnORyYU77DX4L&index=8

nivekc251
27-07-17, 17:24
My mother was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in 2010. When I heard the news I wanted to freak out but I didnt for her. You need to calm down and be brave for her because she needs positivity during this. I understand your concerns , but she needs this from you. I'm praying for you and your mother stay brave :bighug1:

Caribou93
27-07-17, 21:24
Well my mom got her results back and the doctor said that it was fine. They're just going to do a follow up ultrasound in 6 months to make sure everything is in check. But, I asked my mom if the doctor said it could be cancer, and she said no. The doctor said that if it was really large they would want to do a biopsy on it, but it's not even close to that according to the doctor.

But, I swear I asked like 5 times if they thought it looked like cancer and my mom said no, they just see a cyst. And she asked about the spot on her liver, but they aren't worried about that at all either. So while it still will be in the back of my mind, I feel such a sigh of relief at the moment. :D

Fishmanpa
27-07-17, 21:41
:yesyes: Great News!

Positive thoughts

NervUs
27-07-17, 23:31
Well my mom got her results back and the doctor said that it was fine. They're just going to do a follow up ultrasound in 6 months to make sure everything is in check. But, I asked my mom if the doctor said it could be cancer, and she said no. The doctor said that if it was really large they would want to do a biopsy on it, but it's not even close to that according to the doctor.

But, I swear I asked like 5 times if they thought it looked like cancer and my mom said no, they just see a cyst. And she asked about the spot on her liver, but they aren't worried about that at all either. So while it still will be in the back of my mind, I feel such a sigh of relief at the moment. :D

OMG, great news!

You made my day a little brighter. I have a mri coming up for a mass in my soft tissue. It is growing slightly, might have been misdiagnosed the first time.

That fact that the mri came back clean on your mom makes me feel like maybe mine can too. UGH.

sdoxo
28-07-17, 01:20
Awesome!! So glad you guys got some good news! :yesyes:

Caribou93
28-07-17, 12:47
I hope your MRI comes out perfect NervUs and I'm sure it will! :hugs:

But thank you all again! You have no idea how much I appreciate the supportive words you all have said. I can't keep saying that enough! :)

susie1
28-07-17, 13:39
That is fantastic news - and thankyou for telling us such a positive outcome. All too often we get over a panic and forget to let others know! No go and have some rest.x