PDA

View Full Version : Best medication for short term anxiety?

Mazzii342
01-07-17, 01:14
Like I can get hold of anything just tell me what I need, to feel a complete lack of anxiety, and complete feeling of calm. I'll tell you why.

A few weeks ago at University I was having a conversation with my tutor about what work I need to do to pass the year. I hadn't been in in months due to debilitating anxiety but I made it for the final week. (It is practical based so could do at home, no exams). My tutor made a passing comment saying how if I hadn't done enough work maybe I should consider killing myself... he said it as a joke but of course I was shocked somebody would even say that.. even so I laughed it off and told some people what he'd said. Long story short it got back to the Uni and they told ME off for telling people. Said it was a joke and that I shouldn't have spread it because it could upset some "vulnerable" people. (I'd been off for over 2 months with depression and anxiety I don't know how much more vulnerable a person could get, but there you go). I'm in the shi* with them now and the whole staff know about it and they seem annoyed at me.

I apologised (emailing, I couldn't face him in person) to my tutor and he told me it is dangerous to talk about what was said and that he hopes I know how serious it was etc etc and finally told me to put it behind us and hand in my resit (i failed first semester due to anxiety too).

Anyway, I have to go back in 2 weeks to hand in my new work. I'm so so anxious and scared, I know people know, and that they'll look at me, judge me, whatever. I need something, a one time thing, to make me completely and utterly calm. Or even something that'll get me confident, I know there's no miraculous medication but I've had codeine before and forgotten I took it, so I'd double dosed and felt on top of the world. I was considering if nothing will calm me, at least something like that might make me forget i'm anxious and make me confident and chattery instead. Whatever works best. I have a ritalin/adderall-type drug that makes me chattery but adds to my anxiety so that probably wouldn't work, what do you recon?

Has anybody tried Xanax? Would that make me calm for 20 mins while I hand this damn work in? I will completely fail if I don't personally hand in and I can't imagine doing this without some kind of medication-type aid. It'll be a one off as I don't like taking meds much. I have diazepam 2mg and 10mg but they don't keep me calm enough.

Thankyou

braindead
01-07-17, 09:06
LORAZEPAM BENZO:yesyes:

snowghost57
01-07-17, 09:26
If it had been me I would have filed a formal complaint with the University, that person has no business being a tutor.

Be careful with benzo's they can be addictive even when prescribed. Have you tried CBT therapy? Practice mindfulness and breathing?

MyNameIsTerry
01-07-17, 15:32
If it had been me I would have filed a formal complaint with the University, that person has no business being a tutor.

Be careful with benzo's they can be addictive even when prescribed. Have you tried CBT therapy? Practice mindfulness and breathing?

Agreed. There is a whiff of protecting themselves and potential bullying in their actions. Demanding an apology is ludicrous, I'm sure they all here students call them far worse.

Lucinda07
01-07-17, 20:32
I tend to agree with Terry.
Your Tutor's comment was immature & inappropriate, especially since he was aware of your anxiety condition. He's an idiot. It would be helpful if he & the rest of the staff acted less defensively & more professional.Do you have a counsellor at the Uni whom you could talk to?
I have taken Xanax. Its ok. 0.25 mg is the equivalent of 5 mg of Valium. However, since you are taking the latter probably best to stay on that.
You feel worried about other people's opinions, but what happened will soon be forgotten. It bothers YOU more than them.IMO its the Tutor's fault. He was flippant & lacking in his duty of care role. I don't think was necessary for you to apologise, but he & the rest of the staff need some training!

Iwant2bhealthy
01-07-17, 21:48
Mazzii, could you take a parent or a friend with you for support? Maybe it would help to take the edge off a little? If I was your mom, I'd love a chance to tell your tutor what I think of his behaviour. :-)

I also think your tutor tries to shift the blame on you for his own protection. HE WAS IN THE WRONG HERE, NOT YOU.
You can march in there with your head high because you did nothing wrong.

Sent from my SM-G800H using Tapatalk