PDA

View Full Version : Why now?

Sue
11-05-07, 18:23
I have been free of panic for nearly 3 years but just recently they have started up again and I cant understand why.

Life is going pretty well for me at the moment.

I had to drive 20 miles today to attend a course for work and on the way home had the worst attack I can remember. Really thought I was going to faint, was dizzy and convinced I would not make it home!

Please help as I have to make the same drive again twice next week!

Feeling very frightened.

Sue

Jaco45er
11-05-07, 18:43
Hi Sue

Setbacks are common with anxiety/panic attacks, even after a few years. Usually though, they tend not be quite as frightening as the 1st phase of anxiety and pass quicker.

As Claire Weekes states in her books "don't be fooled by setback".

Can you identify anything that helped you recover from panic the 1st time round?

TC

Jaco

Sue
11-05-07, 18:47
Changing jobs! But very happy in my new job. Thats what is so odd.

Have always associated panic with driving though although as I say have been Ok for some time now- even been on motorway a couple of times which is unheard of for me!!

Its just so annoying

Jaco45er
11-05-07, 18:54
You know, excitement can trigger panic too.

Possibly the joy of the new job got you a little worked up?

If you haven't already, it might be worth getting a copy of "Hope and Help for your nerves" by Claire Weekes. Alternatively, there is audio books available by here that may help you whilst driving.

Try not to dwell on a little setback, it rarely means they are back to stay.

Jaco

KLK1107
11-05-07, 19:05
Hi Sue! I am with you on the whole panic relapse thing... I have been on and off meds for the past two years because we are trying to get pregnant, and everytime I go off the meds, I am fine for about 3 months until it's out of my system, and then I am right back to the panic attacks everyday sometimes 3 or more times a day... I am actually panicking right now... I woke up today and my fiance had to leave to take a final and I am here by myself for 2 hours and I am freaking out because I feel like I am losing control...

someone on this forum posted a really good quote though and I can't remember who it was so whoever you are, if you see this, please take credit for your wonderful quote that has helped me so much... her quote was " remember stebacks are a positive thing, because they show you've made progres. If you had never moved forward, you wouldn't recognize a setback".

That quote that she posted made me realize wow, I really did make it pretty far or I wouldn't recognize that these panic attacks that I am having now are setbacks... I actually copied the quote and printed it out and have it hanging in my room... it hoenstly helped a lot, so whoever posted that quote thank you!

I hope you continue to conquer your panic attacks as you did in the past... Just think about the times when you didn't have them and remember you are a strong person, all of us with this disorder are very strong people... and you will get through it!

groovygranny
16-05-07, 15:34
Hi Sue,

Just realised it's 'next week' already!

How goes it so far?

:flowers: