PDA

View Full Version : If it's not one thing it's another... glaucoma

Worrygirl32
02-07-17, 15:07
So as some of you may know I was having heat worries pretty strongly ever about a month ago.. what triggered it was when I experienced an episode of SVT. Well that day in the ER he had tried vagal responses to slow my heart rate. One of which included pressing on the eyes... now before he did this I told him I had high eye pressures. But he said it's fine and continued anyway. Which now thinking back idk if he understood me. But to give you background info.. I have bad eyes. So I wear contacts and glasses. But I also have what they call ocular hypertension. I have done many thorough tests and the opthomalogist said I don't have glaucoma. Nor am I a glaucoma suspect. But I'm thinking what if that doctor caused damage to my eyes when he was pressing on them... I am trying not freak out because maybe it's anxiety. Or maybe I'm right. But every time I go through a HA attack it feels very real to me. Like I literally feel like I am right and there if something wrong with me. And each new time I assure myself that this attack is different from the last one. And that there is now something seriously wrong :( how do I stop the madness? I also feel that what I experience is more complex than other people with health anxiety (not to be disrespectful) but I don't freak out over "basic" stuff. I freak out over things that I feel could possibly happen. Does that make sense? Or is this just all anxiety. Please give thoughts.

Fishmanpa
02-07-17, 15:22
Frankly, this is 1000% anxiety IMO. You haven't even gotten over the heart stuff and you're already shifting to something totally different without having any notable reason to at all :lac:

Positive thoughts

Worrygirl32
02-07-17, 18:55
I don't have any reasons at the moment. But it has been a thought that I have had since that day. I just keep pushing it to the side. I can't find any literature online about it. I'm thinking of maybe making an appointment with my eye doctor to ask him.

Jovanka
11-04-24, 18:35
I'm sorry for your anxiety. But please be assured you have nothing to worry about. First of all, I was diagnosed with glaucoma many years ago. It is very treatable. I have been on medication for 30 years and my eyesight, with some minor correction, is 20/20. Ocular hypertension is also nothing to worry about. They often treat that with medication also, but it is more or less a benign condition. Make sure you keep your eye doctor appointments faithfully. Do not give in to anxiety because glaucoma is very treatable. The people who run into trouble with it are those who never go to an eye doctor and don't get a diagnosis soon enought. But , as I said, keep your appointments and forget about the hypertension. You will be fine.

WiredIncorrectly
22-04-24, 15:44
I had a scare last month at opticians. I needed new glasses, my eyesight was getting worse.

They did all the tests, and then she asked "do you have glaucoma?". No I do not. I have optic disc cupping that I was born with and has nothing to do with glaucoma. My vision is fine, aside from needing glasses. I have this problem whenever I got to a new opticians. My eye pressure is always normal so it confuses them.

I made a note to mention something else to her. I also have a spot on each eye. They've been there all my life, but a new optician will freak out and think it's something more sinister.

She seen my eyes, and said "Oh yes, I see those marks".

I went to collect my glasses some days later, and she said the head optician wants me to do another test. I did the test, and was told I may get a call, or I may not, depending on what the optician thinks.

So I was left in limbo for 2 weeks thinking they've found something I wasn't aware of. It set me off down a rabbit hole with Google.