PDA

View Full Version : Flu-like aches and shivers

Sally4x
03-07-17, 13:21
Hi,
Four weeks ago I had a tattoo. I was very anxious before I had it and had googled everything that could go wrong. It went fine and I had no issues afterwards. However 4 days after having it I started to feel bone aches and shivers like I was coming down with the flu. I also was very very nauseous and off my food. I decided at that stage I must have a virus. All the symptoms have now gone except I still feel achy and shivery like I am coming down with the flu. At no stage have I had a fever, my temperature has been normal.
I have seen the doctor twice and the first one thought I might have Shingles because I had a slight rash on my back. I saw a different one last Friday and they decided they want to test for HIV and Hepatits because of having the tattoo before I got ill. All of this has triggered my health anxiety massively and I am too anxious to even have the blood tests. I have been struggling anyway the last few months because my partner has recently been diagnosed with a brain tumour.
Does anyone know if it is possible to have these flu like symptoms and it be caused by anxiety? I am so anxious about all of this I even had to go to the crisis centre for counselling yesterday.
Thanks

TattooArtist
03-07-17, 14:28
Was the studio licensed? There has never been a documented case of HIV from a properly licensed facility here in the US. Hepatitis is possible but extremely unlikely. Artists use disposable equipment and needles now so disease transmission is much more likely at a gym for skin infections etc. I am a shop owner for 12 years now and an expert in the field. Your symptoms are overwhelmingly viral. The tests may ease your fears and your provider is probably picking up on that... Many with HA seek testing and this is the all-clear you are looking for, so nothing will satisfy you without these answers. But, truly, you have statistically better chance of obtaining a blood borne disease from a dental office (the CDC has collected data on this since the 1980s, before licenses and inspections occurred in the industry) by a very wide Martin, around 80%.

Sally4x
03-07-17, 15:24
I'm in the UK and yes the studio was licensed and is one with a very good reputation. I was fine until 4 days after it and I just started with this flu like aches and shivers. It is like I am coming down with the flu but don't. I actually don't want the tests. Having them is creating more fear than not. And I hadn't even thought about it until the doctor mentioned it. And now he has triggered my health anxiety. I have now been ill for 23 days on and off.

cattia
03-07-17, 19:17
Do you actually have a fever, or do you just feel feverish? Feeling flu like and shivery can actually be a symptom of anxiety, as well as hormonal stuff (I get like this before my period) and a low grade virus.

Sally4x
03-07-17, 23:12
No I have not had a fever at all. I just feel like I have one and the flu. My temperature has remained normal throughout. So it can be anxiety? Also I am perimenopausal so maybe hormones are involved.

Thanks