PDA

View Full Version : Worried I'm going to stop breathing

tamlovee
03-07-17, 22:21
I've had panic disorder for as long as I can remember. It has come and gone throughout my life. I had a pretty bad episode in November but I got over it and moved on. I had another one in April and I haven't been the same since. I have gone to MHMR and they basically told me I needed to be prepared to take celexa for the rest of my life. I will not do that so I've basically managed by educating myself and meditating. I've done pretty well will that but I still have some pretty bad road anxiety.

I live 20 minutes from the nearest city so I have some anxiety with that. The constant fear that if something goes wrong help will not get here in time. When I am driving I am terrified that I'm going to stop breathing and help will mot arrive in time. I've looked up everything I cam and I know that those things really don't happen but the intrusive thoughts are driving me insane. I don't know what to do.

TattooArtist
04-07-17, 02:09
A good first step would be getting some information about cognitive behavioral therapy techniques to start changing the way you think. It's so easy to fear the symptoms you get while, say, driving. The problem is that fear causes the symptoms to begin with. You begin breathing irregularly due to anxiety. This reinforces the idea that something is "wrong". And it goes on and on until the preceived threat (in this case, the drive when you will stop breathing) is over. These are the thought patterns you need to change. Books on tackling anxiety are a good start, and seeing a therapist might be a great idea. We've all had these cyclical intrusive thoughts and it can be overwhelming. I have found that distraction at all costs works to dissapate panic and, therefore, all the symptoms associated with panic (we all know these are many, varied, and abundant when in a spiral). In the case of driving, I turn up the radio and sing to it if I feel any anxiety behind the wheel. Sounds silly and it is, but it keeps me from being able develop the intense fantasies anxiety tells me to think up and dwell on. If I'm home I will get up and start cleaning or something, anything except sitting googling symptoms.

Fishmanpa
04-07-17, 02:24
I have gone to MHMR and they basically told me I needed to be prepared to take celexa for the rest of my life. I will not do that so I've basically managed by educating myself and meditating.

There has to be a very valid reason (the history you wrote about is a valid reason) for the mental health professionals to say and recommend long term meds.

Meds are used to correct imbalances. Not unlike the meds I take for heart disease. My body has an issue with cholesterol, blood pressure etc. so I take meds because despite my best efforts, my body needs help. I'll be on these meds for the rest of my life.

I equate my situation to yours. The only difference is the part of the body the med is needed for.

Reconsider meds. Sometimes one needs a crutch while gaining their strength back, be it physical or mental.

Positive thoughts

tamlovee
04-07-17, 06:08
Thanks guys. I've already looked into CBT but i don't have insurance and the only mhmr that does offer CBT near me is 45 minutes away and I need to be taking my needs for them to see me.
I am worried about the side effects of the meds and that's why I won't take them.