PDA

View Full Version : Travelling for a long time - how do you deal?

Dorothy1104
04-07-17, 07:53
Hello. Does anyone here have to travel for many days for work (or other reasons) and if yes, how do you deal with it?

Would like to hear some other people's experiences to talk down my anxious thoughts about my upcoming trip... I'm scared I'll have panic attacks/start thinking I can't cope on my own.

Thanks x

Juggar
05-07-17, 09:03
I felt the same way recently, had to drive by myself 6 hours one way/12 round trip. A year ago I wouldnt have had a problem, unfortunately I developed bad anxiety.

I kept asking myself, what if I panic halfway through? What if I can't make it and get stranded on account of my anxiety? What if I can't sleep and therefore might not be able to travel home from the insomnia? This and many more questions tortured me.

Of course I made it with no issues so all the anxiety and worry was for nothing. So what I would say to you is, take a deep breath and understand that you WILL be OK. I know how much it can weigh on you, and lord knows it's a burden, but just know that you will be OK.

One time in the last few months I was driving and for the first time while driving, felt an anxiety attack coming on. I felt the panic begin to start, but I knew I had to distract myself somehow, so I turned on the radio and just intensely listened to what was being said. It was some talk channel but it was enough to latch on to and sort of shift the thinking away from the anxious thoughts. I was able to get calmed down enough. My problem is that the anxious thoughts flow like a waterfall when alone and not doing anything engaging.

So maybe bring a book on tape if driving or even read a book if not driving.

braindead
05-07-17, 13:47
I felt the same way recently, had to drive by myself 6 hours one way/12 round trip. A year ago I wouldnt have had a problem, unfortunately I developed bad anxiety.

I kept asking myself, what if I panic halfway through? What if I can't make it and get stranded on account of my anxiety? What if I can't sleep and therefore might not be able to travel home from the insomnia? This and many more questions tortured me.

Of course I made it with no issues so all the anxiety and worry was for nothing. So what I would say to you is, take a deep breath and understand that you WILL be OK. I know how much it can weigh on you, and lord knows it's a burden, but just know that you will be OK.

One time in the last few months I was driving and for the first time while driving, felt an anxiety attack coming on. I felt the panic begin to start, but I knew I had to distract myself somehow, so I turned on the radio and just intensely listened to what was being said. It was some talk channel but it was enough to latch on to and sort of shift the thinking away from the anxious thoughts. I was able to get calmed down enough. My problem is that the anxious thoughts flow like a waterfall when alone and not doing anything engaging.

So maybe bring a book on tape if driving or even read a book if not driving.
Intensely listening to the radio would take you mind off anxiety and also the road ???????????????

---------- Post added at 13:47 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

i get anxiety on long trips if someone else is driving, when you drive yourself you have distractions to keep it at bay . I once drove 360 miles home from Cornwall and dont remember a thing other than i made it back , and i was in the middle of a breakdown:shades:

Dorothy1104
06-07-17, 09:52
Thank you everyone. And what about staying away from home? I have been wanting to do something different and not just come back from work and sit on the sofa every day, but now that I have the chance I am worrying about having to be away from my routine...