PDA

View Full Version : Tetanus fear

jules321
04-07-17, 09:00
I stepped on a carpet nail a few days ago. (We moved a year ago, and our bedroom apparently has some exposed carpet nails which are very fine and razor sharp. We have plans to get the carpets changed.) The same thing happened a few months ago, and the doctor said at that time that it was fine and that I didn't need a tetanus booster. (My last tetanus shot was in 2010.) So when it happened again a few days ago, I didn't think too much about it and washed it out like I was told to do last time it happened. (There was no blood, just a pinprick of pain.)

Today my foot has been hurting a lot in the heel area when I walk on it. I was thinking I had plantar fasciitis when I remembered that I stepped on the carpet nail in just about the exact same location on my foot. Now I'm freaking out and thinking I have tetanus. There is no redness or other sign of infection on my foot.

Please help. I'm terrified I'm about to die. Can't sleep and it's the middle of the night.

TattooArtist
04-07-17, 11:13
Omg your foot hurts because you have a healing puncture wound! If it gets more red and inflamed go to the doc for antibiotics, or if you develop fever. You are far more likely to get tetanus from something outside. Run of the mill infection is common and treatable. You have been vaccinated and need to stop fixating on this one rare thing.

jules321
04-07-17, 16:47
[QUOTE=TattooArtist;1692792]Omg your foot hurts because you have a healing puncture wound! If it gets more red and inflamed go to the doc for antibiotics, or if you develop fever. You are far more likely to get tetanus from something outside. Run of the mill infection is common and treatable. You have been vaccinated and need to stop fixating on this one rare

Thanks for replying. I'm just not sure that makes sense re healing since it didn't hurt for 4 days and now hurts badly all of a sudden. There is no redness or inflammation. Just pain even when I'm not walking on it. Seems strange to me?

TattooArtist
04-07-17, 18:39
The rule for infection (and you may not be able to see the wound... It may have healed over and still a wound on the inside) is that you want a positive trend. So, if you feel better than yesterday, you're fine. Maybe the same, still fine. If you hurt worse each day, the foot swells up, and/or you get a fever, you need to get checked. Not for tetanus... Staph infections and such are MUCH more common. It's just that punture wounds shouldn't be left to themselves if there are signs of infection.

jules321
04-07-17, 22:25
The rule for infection (and you may not be able to see the wound... It may have healed over and still a wound on the inside) is that you want a positive trend. So, if you feel better than yesterday, you're fine. Maybe the same, still fine. If you hurt worse each day, the foot swells up, and/or you get a fever, you need to get checked. Not for tetanus... Staph infections and such are MUCH more common. It's just that punture wounds shouldn't be left to themselves if there are signs of infection.

This freaks me out since the puncture area didn't hurt for 4 days and now hurts. Again I don't even know if my foot hurts by of the puncture or if it's something unrelated. It hurts about the same today as yesterday. If it was infected shouldn't I see some redness or inflammation? I see nothing.

TattooArtist
05-07-17, 02:58
Sounds like it's time to get it checked. The questions you are posing seem to indicate that I would be able to see or understand something about this injury. If this is worsening it's time to go to a doctor.

Chris 614
05-07-17, 08:39
Do you know how many people in the United States get tetanus every year? Around 40. There are around 330 million people here. Half of the population is not up to date with their tetanus shots. Imagine all of the cuts and punctures people get every year and don't get tetanus. The chances of getting tetanus from an indoor carpet tack are around zero. The pain you are feeling could be from something very minor. Sometimes a pain is just a pain.