PDA

View Full Version : Been doing good for so long and now this :(

Nicnac5
04-07-17, 18:20
I haven't had a panic/anxiety attack for a couple of months, been doing and feeling so good, then I have a big flare up of cold sores :( not been feeling particularly stressed but been a bit tired of late. Anyway, I always associate cold sores with HIV and instantly convince myself it's a symptom of it. Basically any time I notice an ailment I automatically tell myself I have HIV, I don't even know how I started it :( feeling so so down and anxious :(

TattooArtist
04-07-17, 18:30
Have you ever had an HIV test? If you haven't or you have had unprotected sex etc with someone new since your test, get one done. It's very easy and provides a concrete answer that will satisfy you for awhile. I had one as standard practice during pregnancy 2 years ago. It's pretty interesting how my mind will still go, "so this [insert symptom] is an HIV symptom" before I logically remember I had a recent test that says I'm negative. That's how powerful anxious thinking is. There is nothing wrong with you... The viruses in us (including those that cause cold sores) flare up from time to time but it's not serious and the panic we feel is a gross overreaction. But you know that already:)

Fishmanpa
04-07-17, 18:39
I have a big flare up of cold sores.... I always associate cold sores with HIV....

Perhaps because "HSV" (what you have) is just one letter off and subconsciously it's influencing you. There are OTC remedies that help with an outbreak. I suggest you head to the pharmacy and get something to help while you ride it out.

Positive thoughts

Nicnac5
04-07-17, 18:51
Thank you guys :) I've ordered some stuff that is being delivered to work tomorrow as I have no time to go the the shops, hopefully it'll help m!

axolotl
04-07-17, 21:13
Remember stress and anxiety doesn't go away just because you're not consciously feeling it at this moment in time, it's still lurking in your system and too many people fall into the trap of thinking "this time it can't be stress, because I don't feel stressed".

Nicnac5
04-07-17, 21:18
That's very true! I have been worrying a lot lately but not feeling "stressed" so I didn't put it down to being stressed, but I guess it could be!

hs8904
05-07-17, 16:41
IDK if they are available in the UK, but here in the US you can purchase at home HIV tests that give you instant results (via a mouth swab). Get tested- at home or at a clinic. Hopefully this will help subside your fears!