PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and tachycardia

RoseBud2
05-07-17, 09:57
Good to find this site. For the past year I have been having anxiety with heart palpitations and rapid heartbeat. The rapid heartbeat doesn't happen often. I saw a cardiologist recently and he said I have tachycardia brought on by stress. My heart was tested and all was normal.
So....my GP gave me a prescription for 2mg of diazepam to calm me when I get stressed. But I read that it lowers the blood pressure. Then I read this online -

"The most common diazepam side effects are: impaired movement and coordination, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, depression. Due to the fact that diazepam has a hypotensive effect, it might cause reflex tachycardia (increase of the heart beat rate, as the heart tries to raise the blood pressure)."

The last thing I want is reflex tachycardia. I would be taking the diazepam in order to calm me so I don't have this problem. It is so scary when my heart races and doesn't stop.
So what can I do? I feel anxious just thinking that there is no help for me.

LDoubleE
05-07-17, 10:06
Good to find this site. For the past year I have been having anxiety with heart palpitations and rapid heartbeat. The rapid heartbeat doesn't happen often. I saw a cardiologist recently and he said I have tachycardia brought on by stress. My heart was tested and all was normal.
So....my GP gave me a prescription for 2mg of diazepam to calm me when I get stressed. But I read that it lowers the blood pressure. Then I read this online -

"The most common diazepam side effects are: impaired movement and coordination, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, depression. Due to the fact that diazepam has a hypotensive effect, it might cause reflex tachycardia (increase of the heart beat rate, as the heart tries to raise the blood pressure)."

The last thing I want is reflex tachycardia. I would be taking the diazepam in order to calm me so I don't have this problem. It is so scary when my heart races and doesn't stop.
So what can I do? I feel anxious just thinking that there is no help for me.
I was given beta blockers to slow my heart rate down and apparently they're good for that type of anxiety.. I never took them as I don't agree with medications myself but you could always ask your doc? I believe the pills are called propranalol? Something like that. Ask your doctor see what they suggest. Good luck and hope it goes well and you sort it x

Lee

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk