PDA

View Full Version : Bogged down with anxiety and depression - early stages of treatment

Nathan75
05-07-17, 12:41
Hi there people

I thought I'd bite the bullet and actually sign up to a forum (since I spend enough time searching and reading through other people's stories in attempts to reassure myself that I'm not the only person feeling this way!)

Anxiety and depression have been ramping up steadily over the last year or so. I can't seem to feel positive about anything, and have no interest in doing anything much. I'm self employed and so I'm panicking a lot about work - and I'm guilty and worried about the effect my anxiety/depression has on my family life.

I started taking citalopram three weeks ago: 10mg for a fortnight, and I doubled it to 20mg one week ago. I'm struggling with the side effects at the moment - feel terrible, very tired and even more anxious than before. I've taken these before and I know things will settle down, but it's hard to see beyond right now at the moment. I've had a session with a counsellor last week and am going to follow up with that.

I'd better stop before this turns into an essay.. anyway, hi!

venusbluejeans
05-07-17, 12:51
Hiya Nathan75 and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Bigboyuk
05-07-17, 13:00
Hiya Nathan75 Yes I can relate to depression and reckon I do get anxious over my life an all the hurdles that gets in way from being 'normal' what ever that is lol And a few weeks in on meds is not long enough to judge give it more time :) And welcome aboard to NMP Cheers

snowghost57
05-07-17, 13:57
Welcome Nathan!

You are not alone. As for myself, I took Zoloft for 20 days, medication just didn't work for me. I did feel better, although I suffered terribly with the side effects. Its why I decided to stop taking them. The felt that the medication did help reset the circuits in my brain.

I continue with therapy and use the tools my therapist has taught me. I have been medication free for months. It takes a lot of hard work, but I am now able to manage my anxiety by retraining my brain. We can get better!

claireypoo
05-07-17, 14:51
Hello, and welcome :)

I've tried those meds and they did help me... though I was only on them for a few months.

Hope you feel better soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nathan75
06-07-17, 12:53
Thanks people for the replies! I'm sure things will settle down before too long, but at the moment I feel like I'm in a glass box!

I spend weekdays trying to work on my own at home and it gets quite isolating - too much time spent in my own head.

Onwards and upwards...

snowghost57
06-07-17, 12:58
That's right you have to get out of your head! Good idea. Get busy doing something anything to keep your mind occupied. Read a book, go for a walk if you can.

beatroon
06-07-17, 23:01
Hi Nathan,

Just wanted to check in and say hi, and that I'm sure things will be on the up soon. As you know, medication can take a while to kick in - in the interim, you might well feel out of sorts, even more anxious and cut-off, and also a bit tired and sleepy.

Anyway - welcome. On here you will find plenty of people who can relate to how you're feeling and who are full of support and good tips!