PDA

View Full Version : Bee sting and scared of cellulitis!

jessieblue
05-07-17, 13:43
Please help with some words of calming wisdom if you can. I got stung by a bee last night in the bottom of my toe. Second time in a week treading on one as there is loads of clover in our grass. This morning the foot is really swollen. Red and warm but not painful really. It was itchy earlier and I scratched it, then \i noticed little blisters on the top of the toe that got stung!! Once I got up out of bed and started doing some housework the thing swelled up quite a lot. It is across the front of my foot and the toes are all puffy except the big toe. It really scared me and I went down to see my practice nurse. She wasnt overly alarmed but said she would give me antibiotics for if it gets worse and redness goes up my foot or lines go up my foot. Trouble is with my severe health anxiety I am not the best person to leave in judgement of if i need to take them. I dont want to take them as last time I got uti and kidney infection after and many other complications that I am not over yet.

Has anyone had experience with bee stings and either infection or bad reactions? Im panicking a bit and not sure what to do.

claireypoo
05-07-17, 14:00
I balloon with insect stings or bites! Ridiculous swelling - and I get blisters too. (Think I posted about that a few times on here). Last year I was basically an insect's buffet table. I still have last years bites itch me occasionally now!

The nurse I saw told me not to scratch it, keep it elevated to reduce swelling and take an antihistamine for the itching.

I've also used some hydrocortisone in the past, though I think they just go down in their own time.

Millions (billions?) of people get stung or bitten by our tiny evil enemies and we are supposed to just put up with it?! I say NO WAY! It's time to strike back!
WAR ON INSECTS! Join me! It's time to BITE BACK!

Um

Anyway, hope it goes down soon and stops itching! X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TattooArtist
05-07-17, 14:11
I react really badly to insect stuff as well. The advice the previous poster gave is good. I also use a little Benadryl in liquid form at night. This was my son's pediatrician giving us advice on that. As far as infection, you will know. It'll be throbbing really painfully and you might develop a fever. Draw a circle around it... In three days it sould be decreasing in redness inside the circle. Trust me cellulitis doesn't just happen suddenly with most kinds of bites and stings. My husband had cellulitis after surgery and trust me he was totally non-functional... I don't think you will get to that point, not by a long shot. Just wait a few days and monitor it. Easier said than done for HA people.

jessieblue
05-07-17, 14:23
Thankyou so much Claireypoo and Tattooartist. This has helped ease the mild panic that was rising! I will do as you suggest and give it some time and try to stop thinking about it of course!

I suggested to my husband we leave the clover for the bees, but now after 2 bites in as many weeks its time to get brutal! No more bee feeding zone, poor little guys didnt expect to get stepped on by a baffoon! Best they go somewhere else to feed.

claireypoo
05-07-17, 14:37
It's amazing with anxiety what will nudge us over the edge. I've had full on meltdowns about the daftest things.

My bites/stings take sometimes 4-5 days to start going down, some people really react and I'm one of them it seems.

Good luck with yours x

(In terms of my personal war against insects, I can be sympathetic to bees... they don't go out of their way to hurt us, and we need them to live etc. but for the record I'll never show a mosquito any mercy. Never. Ever.) [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pkstracy
07-05-18, 16:41
I know this is an old thread, my cellulitis symptoms started the day after I got clawed by my cat, I got really cold fan a fever of 103, flu like symptoms, next day after that my leg got all red and tight skin, I didn't have much pain or swelling, hope you got better.