PDA

View Full Version : Why am I so mean to my dad?

sadtimes
05-07-17, 14:53
I know this has nothing to do with OCD but I don't know where else to ask about this...

As long as I can remember I've always spoken horribly to my dad. There are times where we get along but there are times when I just can't stand him. I don't know why I don't like him, but sometimes his very presence in a room angers me. I would never speak to my mum the way I speak to him and sometimes I feel terrible about it.
I tend to just avoid him because I don't like how I speak to him. He's also a very angry man, and tends to shout a lot and a lot of my memories of him are of him shouting at me and my brother (it's kind of a family joke that our memories only seem to be him shouting)
But he does many many good things for me, like buys me food and drives me places. I love him very much and I know that one day I will regret it so much that I didn't treat him nicer.

I genuinely don't know where it came from and why I hold so much hostility towards him. I'm almost 21 and I thought i'd grow out of it by now.
Why do I act like this and what can I do to resolve it?

claireypoo
05-07-17, 15:54
I regret every argument and every time I was mean to my dad. It's easy with hindsight to regret, and think how you'd do things differently but this is the now and I bet if I had the time again I'd probably be exactly the same. He was lovely but a total a*seache at times! (As we all are)

What is it about your dad that makes you feel angry? Do you feel on guard around him, in case he shouts? Feeling like that can build resentment over time... can you talk to him about his shouting?

X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro