PDA

View Full Version : Taking xanax?

nervousnelly52
05-07-17, 20:48
Hi everyone

I'm wondering if it's okay to take xanax. An ER doctor wrote a script for me after yet another nervous breakdown over health problems. Should I fill the prescription or wait to see a psychiatrist before I do? I know these drugs can cause big problems.

.Poppy.
05-07-17, 21:05
Taking one won't hurt you. It would probably be a good idea to book an appointment with a psych, just to make sure that it's really what you need and that the dosage is correct. For example, my doc prescribed my Lexapro but then got me in with a psych and I learned the dosage my doc had given was too low. No biggie, we just fixed it.

I have very little experience with Xanax other than my dog tried to take it for his anxiety :). There was absolutely no reaction - positive or negative. So we moved onto something else.

What dosage were you given?

nervousnelly52
05-07-17, 21:08
Hi! It was 0.5 mg, 20 tablets

Fishmanpa
05-07-17, 21:24
That's a low dose. My doctor prescribed that for me when I was dealing with my wife's illness. I have that on standby as a chill pill if needed. Definitely helped me. Problem is, it can be addictive and IMO is not a long term solution.

Positive thoughts

snowghost57
05-07-17, 22:20
I agree with Fish.

christy67
05-07-17, 22:33
I take it as needed. It's really helped me get through some difficult times. I've had no problems with becoming dependent on it. I'm pretty careful with with it. Taking it a little more lately because I'm going throgh HA

.Poppy.
05-07-17, 22:43
Also agree with FMP. Taking one now if you really feel you need it is perfectly fine. I'd still see a psych though, as there is probably a better long-term solution for you if you need it.

TattooArtist
06-07-17, 03:14
I think in the short term it's fine. There are better maintenance drugs out there, though, without so much of an addictive component. You probably do want to get in with a psychiatrist and/or therapist as there are non-drug treatment methods that are very healing and helpful. I have found with my HA that the root of the problem is my thought process. For me drugs don't help with the day to day coping stuff. Many people use anti-anxiety meds to get through particularly rough patches... Don't discount the power of a "hard-reset"... Falling into a restful sleep can improve things dramatically for me. If meds help you relax and get to sleep then that could be a very good thing.