PDA

View Full Version : asbestos

kidofmiracles123
05-07-17, 21:47
Hey guys,

*I'm chinese, and the people there at the community center are also chinese, they don't give a shit about asbestos, so they didn't do anything*

I just recently realized that I was exposed to asbestos over the course of 5 years at a community center(built in 1980) where I was studying a foreign language on the weekends.. I didn't realize it, but I noticed a couple months ago that there was a board on the ceiling that was heavily damaged (you could see the asbestos fibers), and it probably was like that for many years. I go to the place for 4 hours a week, and the thought of not living past 40 makes me want to jump off a cliff, since I am only 15. I'm so depressed and everything feels like a nightmare. Could you guys help me

Hypomean
05-07-17, 22:18
How old is the building?

There is a chance it could also be fiberglass. Looks about the same.

And bring this to the attention of the an adult at the building. So they can take precautions on what to do and about minimizing the exposure to the students.

snowghost57
05-07-17, 22:20
Kid, asbestos has been banned in this country since 1973. You are 15 which tells me you were born in 2002.

Please see this web site:

https://www.epa.gov/asbestos/us-federal-bans-asbestos

Asbestos has never been used in ceiling tile.

axolotl
05-07-17, 23:30
Asbestos is obviously a health hazard, but not the danger many on here seem to think.

It used to be a common building material, before risks were fully understood.

Think of every person you know in your family or social circle that had asbestosis.

I would bet it's none.

You really have nothing to worry about.

kidofmiracles123
16-07-17, 21:46
You guys, I can literally see the fibers sticking out of the boards, so I'm going to assume it's asbestos.

Fishmanpa
16-07-17, 22:34
I'm going to assume

You do know that saying about the word "assume"?

Positive thoughts

snowghost57
16-07-17, 23:00
Sigh, I give up.

MyNameIsTerry
17-07-17, 06:08
What do your parents think about this? I expect they will want to know of any developments in your mental health so they can help you.

And I would interested in what they think about what you think you saw? How many people outside of the building trade know what everything looks like in ceilings? So, how can you assume asbestos?

kidofmiracles123
17-07-17, 23:09
When I look at the ceiling, I see something akin to this. Do you guys think this is amosite? It lies right under a pipe for air conditioning, so its an insulation board, which I found to have up to 40% asbestos.I honestly think I'm going to die around the age of 50, what do you guys think?

kidofmiracles123
17-07-17, 23:15
Again, It's that badly damaged, as shown in the pictures, especially the second one. What do you guys think the concentration of asbestos is in the ceiling tile (drop ceiling), and how much I had breathed in for about 5 years? The place I go to is also old, before regulations were in place.

axolotl
17-07-17, 23:50
what do you guys think?

I think you need professional help for your mental health, if you're not already.

TattooArtist
18-07-17, 03:43
You need to get a grip... Honestly I think therapy is your best option. Even if you WERE exposed (which you have not been), you sat in an old building for some time. You didn't manufacture it, you didn't work around it. Do you know what kind of chemistry is involved in modern ceilings?? If not you need to reevaluate why you are so fixated on this. Honestly you step outside and could contract a fungus or virus from just about any surface... Why asbestos?

kidofmiracles123
18-07-17, 05:32
The building I was studying in was built in 1980, not far from the asbestos ban. And I'm just crying myself to death. I honestly didn't notice that there was a portion of the ceiling that was friable, and I realized it's been like that for almost forever, and I just want to go back and avoid the thing altogether. I just want to ask you guys for help, I'm just so depressed right now. The place I go to doesn't even know what asbestos is, since Chinese people commonly ignore asbestos all together. I can't ask anyone for help because nobody knows what asbestos is. I'm falling apart

MyNameIsTerry
18-07-17, 06:44
You need to get a grip... Honestly I think therapy is your best option. Even if you WERE exposed (which you have not been), you sat in an old building for some time. You didn't manufacture it, you didn't work around it. Do you know what kind of chemistry is involved in modern ceilings?? If not you need to reevaluate why you are so fixated on this. Honestly you step outside and could contract a fungus or virus from just about any surface... Why asbestos?

That's the difference between the anxiety disorder and not for many :shades:

Why pick gettig run over by a car when you can contract a rare disease or get a cancer? It tends to look for the scary stuff to provoke the expected response, which it won't so easily get with a cold (other than thinking you have a cancer again).

---------- Post added at 06:44 ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 ----------

The place I go to is also old, before regulations were in place.

The 1980's? When the FDA had been banning asbestos for various uses since the early 70's?