PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram/Cipralex

BobbyBoy
12-05-07, 15:36
Hello All

Having read lots of peoples posts on the forum I feel that my problem is a little different from most of the others but with hope there will be someone else out there who suffers in a similar way.

Although I have suffered with anxiety all of my adult life to a certain extent, I can generally deal with it by just avoiding situations where it will become a problem. For me this is generally only ever if I become the centre of attention amongst a large number of people, well perhaps 10/15 or more!

My problem is that I have a wedding coming up (6 weeks time) where I will be expected to give a speech, and this is scaring me half to death. I did a speech at one wedding in the past a long time ago, and just said as little as possible and sat back down, for me it ruined the whole occasion and to others (in my mind at least) was probably the worst – and shortest – speech ever.

Perhaps some would deal with this with a few stiff drinks, not only have I never really been much of a drinker but of course too much could result in exactly the opposite I’m trying to achieve.

I had wondered if something like Cipralex would help me just on a temporary basis (although I see it’s suggested it be taken for 3-4 weeks at least) but would be interested in the opinions of anyone out there with far more experience than myself.

Just to clarify I can deal with many situations without a problem, such as work meetings, children’s school sports and parent’s evenings, shopping, travel and even discussions between a few people. It seems only to become a problem when the spotlight is only on me.

Thanks
Bobby

clickaway
12-05-07, 15:48
I can't answer with specifics here. I've never done a wedding speech, but two years ago I had to read out a eulogy in memory of my mum. At that time, I was having anxiety, but had been so busy with doing everything I didn't get any nerves at all. I just sailed through it.

I'm sure a factor was the fact that I was doing it for someone close to me. I assume your speech is for a good mate of yours, so maybe that will be a big help. Draft the speech well in advance, so you have plenty of time to get it right, so you'll feel confident with the words.

Seek advice from the doc - it could well be that something like diazapem would be useful, but if you are going to have a few drinks on the day, it would be best to be med-free!

Cheers

BobbyBoy
12-05-07, 15:56
Thanks Ray

It is actually for my daughter, so as you can probably imagine I really don't want it to be wrong, for her sake more than mine! As I said above I'm good at avoiding these situations normally, so if it was a friend I would probably try to do exactly that.

Thanks Again
Bob

sarah1984
12-05-07, 17:00
Hi Bob,
Bach Rescue Remedy is very popular on here for calming the nerves-take a look at the alternative remedies forum for more details. It's 100% natural and can be bought easily at Boots or other health shops. Thinking about the citalopram, it takes most anti-depressants four to six weeks to show some sort of improvement and you then have to stagger coming off them so I don't really think they are what you are looking for and feel that it is unlikely that a doc would prescribe them for a one-off event.

As Ray said, draft the speech in advance. Don't bring a script with you to read on the day, but maybe a few cues on a card might help give structure to your speech and act as a prompt. I find that when I'm speaking in public it's good to focus on a single object/ a friendly face and look at them.

up a ladder
12-05-07, 17:38
Bob.

I was in exactly the same situation allbeit as a best man rather than a father.
There was little I could do with the anxiety leading up to the event, but on the day, I got so wrapped up in the day, that I sailed through without any problems at all.
Proper preperation is a good idea, as that should negate any anxiety about not being prepared.

All the Best
David

BobbyBoy
13-05-07, 12:53
Thanks Sarah and David, your comments are much appreciated.

Sarah I had seen a few mentions of Rescue remedy, does it really have that much of an effect?

Kind Regards
Bobby

sarah1984
13-05-07, 19:12
I'm afraid I don't have any personal experience but people on here do swear by it. Try going to the natural remedies forum and using the search facility on the top of the page to bring up any posts on it.

Nel
13-05-07, 19:58
Diazepam would be your best bet, if it’s just for a one off. As someone has said though, you won’t be able to drink if you use diazepam.
I found rescue remedy no help at all with anxiety. Good luck.

sarah1984
14-05-07, 15:10
I agree diazepam could help but I find a lot of doctors are unwilling to prescribe it nowadays apart from in severe situations. It also makes you feel like a zombie which is hardly the state you want to be in on a big occasion!

jo61
14-05-07, 15:43
Beta blockers are often prescribed for people who have to make presentations. Might be another option but I reckon your GP should be your first port of call. Enjoy the wedding anyway.

Nel
14-05-07, 16:03
I agree diazepam could help but I find a lot of doctors are unwilling to prescribe it nowadays apart from in severe situations. It also makes you feel like a zombie which is hardly the state you want to be in on a big occasion!

Doctors will not prescribe it regularly, however they will prescribe it. My sister has back pain and her doctor prescribes diazepam for when she is going on holiday (for the flight).
It's never made me feel like a zombie, if you feel like a zombie you have taken WAY too much!

sarah1984
15-05-07, 14:34
Yes, it is also used as a pain killer/muscle relaxant. Taking just one 2mg or 5mg tablet always made me feel really dopey and hazy which I guess was what I wanted when I was terribly anxious. However, I couldn't do much more than sit around in the chair/lie on my bed after taking it, so I certainly wouldn't recommend it on a big day, especially if you have to drive afterwards.

BobbyBoy
15-05-07, 16:32
Thanks Everybody for your time.

Bob