PDA

View Full Version : Twitching Finger has set me off.

Sollace
06-07-17, 15:13
Hello everybody. Pretty recently has been a rather stressful time, and I've been getting through it, however something small's sent my anxiety spiralling off. Last friday, I started to notice a small, occasional twitch in my left index finger.

It was very slight and occasional, and I didn't think much of it except that it continued to occur. On Sunday, it really started to make me worry as it was still there. On Monday, it relented mostly, and occurred perhaps 3 times throughout the day. Tuesday saw it get far more common (to the point where I went to bed and jolted myself awake when I Suddenly felt like my chest was going to burst and yesterday I woke up during the early hours in a panic, feeling incredibly hot and all my skin prickly and slightly numb in some places. Through yesterday it was much the same as it was on Tuesday, whilst today it has luckily seemed to have stopped. Anyway, this has caused me to worry to no end about all the horrible possibilities associated with a twitch, namely MS and ALS. Since noticing it I've began to feel all my joints and muscles ache from activity. Even though the twitching has stopped in my finger, whilst using it on the keyboard I occasionally feel some weakness in it. This has come out of nowhere, and I am truly terrified. I'm 19 and fear that I'm already facing something this awful. I know my family (to the best of my knowledge) has no history of these conditions (although I do not know to what extent they are hereditary). First the twitching, combined with the experience of waking up early and now the occasional weakness I feel in my finger after the twitching has subsided- and not to mention the sudden aching I've been experiencing really has me beside myself. I've been checking my calf muscles, to the point where even looking at them sets off my anxiety.

I appreciate that I'm treading a long and dark path worrying about these things, and don't particularly want to see a doctor if it can be helped, but I don't know what to do.

maianixon
06-07-17, 15:54
As far as I know that's a pretty common anxiety symptom, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've had constantly twitching/trembling fingers (like theyre just comstantly shaking/moving on their own I cant stop them) and no doctor so far payed any attention to it so I try not to think about it too much.

nivekc251
06-07-17, 16:01
Twitching is not ALS . And as far as we akness goes if u can pick your nose or hold a spoon with the twitch8ng f8nger and your thumb you don't have true weakness. Stop worrying about ALS because doing that is only going to make you twitch more. You are 19 and the odds of you having a rare disease like that are astronomical. Enjoy your life !

Sollace
06-07-17, 22:31
I'd just like to get back to thank everybody for their reassuring words.

I've taken to constantly comparing movement between my left index finger (the one with the twitch) and my right index finger, and am terrified because I think movement in it is a bit more stiff than in my right hand (wagging it required my left middle finger to raise more than my right one) I am right handed, so I am unsure if this is to be expected. Nontheless, it has me worried and I'm terrified it could worsen. I'm meant to be going for a day out tomorrow, yet I am certain this is going to ruin it.

nivekc251
06-07-17, 22:50
In ALS you do t think that your muscles aren't working properly. It's very obvious something is wrong. Nothing is symmetrical when it comes to the human body. Stop freaking out and testing yourself because you will find something that's going to freak you out. Something normal that you just never noticed before. Calm down and don't get lost in this fear it is not fun and can ruin years of your life. Best thing to do with twitching is ignore it. And if you aren't exercising or lifting weights do so immediately. It really helps.

NancyW
07-07-17, 03:12
Sollace I've personally seen ALS in 4 people, it's ugly.

It's not a twitching or stiff finger.

Sollace
07-07-17, 18:52
Hello everybody, just posting again because I noticed today that despite the twitching seemingly having disappeared, when touching the left side of my index finger (the direction it twitched in) I am convinced it feels slightly numb. If I close my eyes and poke it with a pencil, I can immediately tell when the pencil touches- but it definitely feels almost soft (this is the best I can describe it as). I am also still convinced that movement with my left index finger is stiff somewhat. Maybe I am imagining it, but it seems like I can't wag it as fast as my right index finger.

I'm very sorry I keep on posting, and I do appreciate the reassurance I am getting, but I simply cannot stop worrying.

Fishmanpa
07-07-17, 19:29
Hello everybody, just posting again because I noticed today that despite the twitching seemingly having disappeared, when touching the left side of my index finger (the direction it twitched in) I am convinced it feels slightly numb. If I close my eyes and poke it with a pencil, I can immediately tell when the pencil touches- but it definitely feels almost soft (this is the best I can describe it as). I am also still convinced that movement with my left index finger is stiff somewhat. Maybe I am imagining it, but it seems like I can't wag it as fast as my right index finger.

I'm very sorry I keep on posting, and I do appreciate the reassurance I am getting, but I simply cannot stop worrying.

You're spiraling with all the self-examination. People twitch and it's a VERY common anxiety symptom. Maybe put on some gloves or something to stop you from messing with your hands.

Positive thoughts

Jackrabbit
07-07-17, 19:36
I don't know how this might sound to you but maybe try a fidget spinner. Apparently they've helped people with this issue lol

Sollace
07-07-17, 19:42
You're spiraling with all the self-examination. People twitch and it's a VERY common anxiety symptom. Maybe put on some gloves or something to stop you from messing with your hands.

Positive thoughts

Thanks for your response. I suppose a part of me is terrified that this is it presenting itself, and I dread waking up one day soon and finding all use of my finger has gone. My finger's starting to feel sore, no doubt from the constant examination and cracking it, but a part of me worries that is it developing. Also, I feel I should thank you as your posts both here and at anxiety zone have provided me with a great deal of consolation during difficult times.

I don't know how this might sound to you but maybe try a fidget spinner. Apparently they've helped people with this issue lol

I haven't thought about this at all, it's worth a try, I suppose.

nervousnelly52
07-07-17, 20:33

Positive thoughts

My problem with this is like, if it's anxiety, why is it just in a few fingers and not in my whole hand? Auuugh. It's so hard to be rational sometimes.

Fishmanpa
07-07-17, 21:26
My problem with this is like, if it's anxiety, why is it just in a few fingers and not in my whole hand? Auuugh. It's so hard to be rational sometimes.

Why is it just an eyelid, or a thigh muscle or a tricep or any other part of your body that twitches. Do you see what you're doing to yourself?

Positive thoughts

nervousnelly52
07-07-17, 23:45
Why is it just an eyelid, or a thigh muscle or a tricep or any other part of your body that twitches. Do you see what you're doing to yourself?

Positive thoughts

You are right. Thank you!

Sollace
08-07-17, 09:10
I was just moving my finger around again today, and noticed that moving the stiff one from side to side enough eventually began to cause a sort of popping sensation in the area between my index and middle finger.Is it possible this could suggest I've actually strained or damaged my finger- or is this a worrying development?

Sollace
19-03-18, 16:55
Hello everybody!

I've received a couple of messages regarding this thread- and how I'm doing, so I thought it'd be worth posting an update.

I went to the doctors not too long after having my ALS fears in the summer of last year, and was told in no uncertain terms that I was absolutely fine and didn't even need any tests. The twitching, weakness, and so forth persisted for some time, and they too eventually subsided.I am absolutely convinced at this point that the twitches were brought on as a result of both stress, anxiety and a lack of sleep- as the event I was at where I first noticed them would reasonably cause both stress and anxiety.

Since then, I've had absolutely no further symptoms of anything neurological that concerned me until last week. Truthfully, I've concerned myself with other diseases- cancers and the like, but they weren't quite as bad. I also appreciate that the power of suggestibility is strong, and I feel guilty to admit it- but the news of the passing of Stephen Hawking has sparked some further concerns of ALS. Again, however, I appreciate now how great the power of suggestibility is, and am better able to cope with my fears than last summer- and would highly recommend that people keep striving to find what works for them to manage their fears.

Thanks for reading!

nomorepanic
19-03-18, 19:59
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239