PDA

View Full Version : Severe Gagging and panic

NorseWolf94
06-07-17, 18:13
Hello! Just a warning first that this is fairly descriptive, I don't want to trigger anyone!

So I've had a terrible day with Nausea today but this has seemed to be the norm for the last week or so. I have Emetophobia that arose from a traumatic experience I had about two years ago. Every time I'm even the slightest bit Nauseous I go into anxiety mode, If it's severe Nausea I go into full blown panic mode. The problem I've been having recently is gagging and retching but having nothing come out. As soon as the gagging begins I'm a mess, It utterly destroys me. I end up pacing back and forth to the bathroom as I can't decide whether to get it over with or not. Sometimes I'll actually go into the bathroom for a few seconds before chickening out and continuing to pace around the house mid panic attack, not knowing what to do with myself.

Sometimes I only gag once or twice then I'm fine but today has been a living hell. Out of nowhere I began to feel nauseous. Then I became aware of this unfamiliar heavy feeling in my stomach and the nausea got worse. I had this awful discomfort in my lower abdomen as well. I try to get on with getting ready to go out but eventually the first gag happens. This time It didn't stop after one gag, one after the other they kept coming and I could feel my stomach pushing contents halfway up my throat with each gag, my mouth was also full of saliva. Obviously at this point I'm a mess and doing the pacing thing, convinced that It was going to happen this time. Eventually I made a peppermint tea, layed down on the sofa and tried to breath as deeply and slowly as possible. The Nausea and gagging subsided but I was left with a racing heart, breathlessness, sweating and that horrible heavy ache in my lower abdomen.

All day the nausea has been coming and going but no gagging. My appetite is messed up and I still have achey bowels that are particularly bad right now. I also feel lethargic, depressed, tired and on edge. All of this is a nightmare and I'm struggling to cope with it now, It doesn't help that I have severe Health Anxiety and GAD either as all these symptoms make me worry that something bad and dangerous is happening to me which equals more anxiety and symptoms etc.

I was just wondering if this is relatable to anybody? If so, what stratigies do you have and do that makes it more bareable? I'd be very grateful for your input, I'm at my wits end.

katielovespizza
27-07-17, 05:29
Like you said, peppermint tea helps me a lot. I also will do a spoonful of lemon juice (very strong!) that quickly alleviates my nausea if it gets really bad. I also do ginger tea, and even ginger peppermint tea, where I cut up some fresh ginger and put it in the water I'm boiling for my tea.

NorseWolf94
28-07-17, 13:20
I've tried ginger a few times but I never knew that lemon juice helps so I will try that out!