PDA

View Full Version : Serious Diagnosis...

lofwyr
06-07-17, 21:47
So, my ECG did not, in fact, come back normal. I have sever dilation of the aortic root by my heart, an aortic anyeurism that appears to be 5cm. I have a referral with a thoracic surgeon soon--probably next week. I will have no choice but to have the surgery, but I am thankful.

It was caught by chance, really. My doctor just sent me for a ECG to do my five year check on my prolapsed mitral valve. That was insignificant, but he found the anyeurism now here I am, facing a very serious situation. I will likely have to have a valve replacement as well as an aortic graft.

I am less scared about this than all the imaginary stuff I have beat, but scared none-the-less.

I am grateful my doctor caught it. I am grateful I have the chance to do something about it, rather than suddenly drop dead in a year or two unexpectedly. I am grateful for you guys too, for letting me vent here, to a place where not many of us understand what it is like to be caught in a web of fear.

And let me tell you, when you have something real to fight, for some reason it is less scary.

I will cross post this across NMP and AC. Thanks guys...

LDoubleE
06-07-17, 21:49
So, my ECG did not, in fact, come back normal. I have sever dilation of the aortic root by my heart, an aortic anyeurism that appears to be 5cm. I have a referral with a thoracic surgeon soon--probably next week. I will have no choice but to have the surgery, but I am thankful.

It was caught by chance, really. My doctor just sent me for a ECG to do my five year check on my prolapsed mitral valve. That was insignificant, but he found the anyeurism now here I am, facing a very serious situation. I will likely have to have a valve replacement as well as an aortic graft.

I am less scared about this than all the imaginary stuff I have beat, but scared none-the-less.

I am grateful my doctor caught it. I am grateful I have the chance to do something about it, rather than suddenly drop dead in a year or two unexpectedly. I am grateful for you guys too, for letting me vent here, to a place where not many of us understand what it is like to be caught in a web of fear.

And let me tell you, when you have something real to fight, for some reason it is less scary.

I will cross post this across NMP and AC. Thanks guys...
Wow. Good luck with the surgery. What symptoms were you suffering to make you get checked may I ask? I've only just recently signed up..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Fishmanpa
06-07-17, 22:09

As someone with heart issues, I understand. With the advances in heart surgery techniques, I'm quite confident you'll do well.

You statement above rings truer than you know. You would be the third person I know of on the boards that actually had something serious crop up. This is different in that you didn't even know it was there nor were you worrying about it! That being said, when you actually face something as challenging as this, your anxiety takes a back seat as you deal with the issue front and center.

More interestingly, once you face something like this, your anxiety may just remain in the back seat as it has with the other two members I mentioned. Once you face a demon, any others that crop up become significantly less scary ;)

Keep cool and maintain a positive attitude. It's 90% of the battle! Let us know how you make out and are doing!

Keeping you in....

Positive thoughts

nervousnelly52
06-07-17, 23:45
So sorry to hear this. Good luck.

lofwyr
07-07-17, 01:28
Thanks for all the well wishes.

It is a serious condition to have, without a doubt, but as it turns out, all those years of hypochondria have made me a research machine. I am finding it is actually empowering to look at this from "I have this, how do I deal with it? What have other people done? I can do it too!"

Compared to "do I have this?" "what if I do?" "How do I find out if I have this?" "What if I have this, but don't know?"

Many people have had this, and while the surgery by all accounts sucks, it is not undoable. I will learn the power of binge watching netflix for a while I guess.

The hard part is knowing something is wrong and having to WAIT to fix it. I want my consult tomorrow, and I don't even have the appointment arranged yet.

Ahh well, we persevere.

---------- Post added 07-07-17 at 00:28 ---------- Previous post was 06-07-17 at 23:44 ----------

Wow. Good luck with the surgery. What symptoms were you suffering to make you get checked may I ask? I've only just recently signed up..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Actually, years ago I had a prolapse mitral valve and it was a routine "it's been five years since we looked at this" check, and I consider myself very lucky to have it found this way.

nosrednanagem
07-07-17, 01:55
Oh wow! I'm so glad that they caught it, and they're able to fix it! I too, had something found on my ECG that I had just for my piece of mind (since my dad had a massive heart attack) I wish you the best of luck! Try to keep us updated!

swajj
07-07-17, 02:33
I think you have a great attitude. Yes you do have to deal with a real issue now but you are doing it calmly, sensibly and positively. That alone probably makes you more healthy than you have been for some time. That is, instead of putting your body and mind through the daily and unhealthy stress of worrying about this illness or that illness you are starting to eliminate these from your life. Also, I agree with Fish, there is an excellent chance that you have overcome your HA.

incunables
07-07-17, 18:07
I'm sorry you're going through this, but congratulations on having such a strong, productive attitude about this! Sending you lots of good thoughts for your procedure and your recovery.