PDA

View Full Version : Found lump, super anxious!

George_m97
07-07-17, 00:38
So I found a hard, round lump in my calf over a year ago and saw the GP who said it was fine and nothing but a fatty lump and nothing serious. After googling, I did not think it was a fatty lump, but forgot about it. Now that it is summer again and I started wearing shorts I felt the lump again. I saw the GP again and she has now sent me off for an ultrasound and I am so so scared! She wrote on the doctors sheet she thinks it is a cyst, lipoma, ganglion but is unsure of it's nature. Everything online points to something serious, and when I feel it I think it may have grown or the GP missed more of the lump (she felt the lump she found but I think there is more and it wraps around?). It doesn't seem to have grown since she last saw it, but I think it may have. Absolutely worried sick and idk how to handle it. Have to call up tomorrow to book my ultrasound. It doesn't help that a youtuber I watch had symptoms similar to mine and was diagnosed with sarcoma :(

I am 19 and relatively fit.

Any reply would be appreciated thanks

Ryzinn
07-07-17, 00:54
Have you felt sick at all lately? Any nausea or fatigue? Have you lost an unusual amount of weight?

I'm no doctor (none of us really are) but everything I've read about cancer usually points to these as being part of cancer. If it was cancer, chances are you might have some of this going on. If not, then either it's nothing or it's not spread which obviously is a good thing.

I've had numerous bumps over the course of the past 10 years. One in my scrotum (spermatocele) one in my upper thigh (magically disappeared) and one in my neck (swolen lymph node caused by mono). The last one I was absolutely CONVINCED was Lymphoma thanks to google and it turned out to be fricking mono.

Big rule of thumb around here, stay the f*** away from google. Do something else, go outside and walk/run, hang out with a friend, take a long hot relaxing bath, and put it out of your mind until you know for sure. This is easier said then done, but google has done NOTHING for me in the past except make me that much more nervous. Pretty much everyone here will tell you the same thing.

Good luck.

George_m97
08-07-17, 14:23
I've had this for probably near on two years, and I have never felt sick, loss of weight or nausea. I feel sick and nauseas now but I think that's me worrying myself sick. I also don't check it regularly enough to know if it is growing. Hopefully it's nothing. And yes, I checked goofle. Big mistake. Only thing worrying me now is how long it's going to take me to find out on the NHS :( I just want peace of mind.

Thank you for your reply. Has made me feel somewhat better and now know I just need to get on with life until I find out. Worrying won't change a thing

crazygal
08-07-17, 14:30
I had a lump on my calf for a while. It eventually went away but it was there for a while. Don't panic. Your doctor probably wants to order an ultra sound to make you feel better. Fatty lumps on calves are common.

And yes, stay the duck away from google. Google had me convinced I had breast cancer because my boob had itchy. Went to the doctor and it turned out to be an eczema patch. Doctor told me to use aveeno and it went away. But I panicked for nothing because of Dr.Google

thecyberpractitioner
10-07-17, 04:17
You've done all you can. Have faith in your doctor(s), they're there to help. Don't try to diagnose yourself online, it's a one way ticket to insanity!

All the best.

George_m97
13-07-17, 18:55
Update:

Went for ultrasound, found nothing on muscle but it was actually bone. Radiologist doing the ultrasound who was rather blunt and a tad unfriendly said it was most probably osteochondroma, and that I should not worry, but has referred me to get an MRI scan. This is now what worries me, as I am scared as to why they sent me for an MRI? Hopefully see my GP soon who will reassure me. I'm just such a scaredy cat it is terrible :(

Bigboyuk
13-07-17, 19:41
Update:

Went for ultrasound, found nothing on muscle but it was actually bone. Radiologist doing the ultrasound who was rather blunt and a tad unfriendly said it was most probably osteochondroma, and that I should not worry, but has referred me to get an MRI scan. This is now what worries me, as I am scared as to why they sent me for an MRI? Hopefully see my GP soon who will reassure me. I'm just such a scaredy cat it is terrible :(Hi George I want to help you so will say this, I had a lump (quite big on my right leg) Off I went for a ultrasound the snoggrapher told me they couldn't see anything to concern them, but was asked to go for a MRI scan which I had done and it was benign and just some gristle so I am happy and the lump is still there and it doesn't bother me. Suggest you do the same. Remember these are highly trained people who know what they are doing You are fine and no more googling it will drive you crazy! Let us know the results please :) Cheers

Leslie735
13-07-17, 20:34
I SOOOOO understand how you feel right now. I found a lump on the back of my left thigh just a little above the back of my knee. Its hard and doesn't move a bit. I'm not seeing my doctor until September 9th. I have felt the area so much I'm bruised and swollen. I'm worried sick about it. :( All I'm reading about is sarcomas and I'm completely terrified.

George_m97
28-07-17, 12:51
Update:
Seen consultant following x-rays and MRI and he is convinced it is benign. However, he can not confirm that to me until he gets back a report from the radiologist (the radiologist went on holiday so it wasn't ready). It has cured my worries quite a lot, but he mentioned that he can't 100% confirm it until he finds out about the cartilage on the bone (I assume to see if it's big and it means something?). That is what still gives me some worry. So hopefully I'm okay, but this wait till Monday for confirmation will still be killing me