PDA

View Full Version : Trying to overcome this bout

TattooArtist
07-07-17, 03:25
So at the beginning of last month my son brought home an enterovirus ... One of the Coxsackie ones that kids get that cause illnesses like hand-foot-mouth and similar. I guess my husband and I had never gotten it as youngsters because it hit us very hard. I got the worst of it and was very ill with a fever, respiratory, and gastro stuff. Needed antibiotics and steroids for secondary infection, which turned out to not be helpful because all the symptoms were caused by the virus in the end and all faded away agonizingly slowly. I did not tolerate the amoxicillin and had already just been on a cephalexin for a cyst, so yadda yadda long story I ended up with a yeast infection, oral thrush, and a 3 week course of flucanozole. I used over the counter antifungal cream which I think caused some dermatitis (and more worry). Needed a CT scan (I don't think someone without anxiety would have even thought to ask for one) and my GP ended up referring me to ENT.
Between my husband, my toddler, and myself I was in a medical setting probably 20 days last month . Basically now I have appointments with the relevant doctors in a couple weeks if I need them. Truly I'm feeling better but too scared to cancel the appointments in case something "happens". I'm noticing now how badly my ha has been/is acting up. I'm feeling much much better but have been googling lots; we are all pretty impatient when it comes to seeing improvement and I feel stretched a bit thin. The roller coaster of symptom checking, followed by worry, followed by Google, followed by trying to distract myself, followed by a new worry cropping up... well, it seems like it starts upon waking and I jump from one thing to another. In the background in dealing with this slow weird viral recovery. I also fear ending medications... Like, I worry that when I stop taking the flucanozole that the infection will return and be stronger or go systemic (which is stupid). I worried about ending the antibiotics for the same reason even though they didn't help and were making me sicker. I actually took them two days longer than the doc said I had to given the side effects, worried that I would develop a resistant bacterial infection. I'm also really scared if my throat is scratchy from dust because it might be another illness and I can't afford to miss any more work. But, like, becoming ill even with a cold terrifies me now. We get sick from our child every month and it's getting very scary and tiresome to be sick so often. People tell me this will not last and that it's common for families with toddlers to deal with illness a lot. I guess I'm just venting really. Thanks for listening. Hopefully tomorrow I can shelve my worries for most of the day. I really have enjoyed going to work this week and feeling more normal...