PDA

View Full Version : Kind of scared really need advice

purplewitch
08-07-17, 09:29
This may seem like a stupid post but

Today I was in the hospital to get a CT scan,and while I was waiting there was a bunch of people who were stayin in the hospital around me and that makes me very anxious now that I have health anxiety. Anyway,I just sucked it up.However,a bunch of nurses reeled this person who I presumed to be in a comatose state,with IVs and venilators all hooked up to the poor man,he also had a bandage around his head and his eye was half open,really disturbing.he was outside of the waiting room but I was still looking as I was morbidly curious and was suspecting he had Meningitis for some reason (I'm very scared of meningitis at the moment)

From what I understand if someone has meningitis the nurses and stuff caring for the patient would have masks and quarintine the patient. Anywho,both of the people who were taking care of me came in contact with the patient,and one of them even coughed near me (she covered her cough with her sleeve and then she gave me a mask,because I kept covering my mouth anxiously) By this time I wasn't sat right next to this person (I was getting an IV and they told me to come outside where the patient was-I guess thats the waiting room for them as they are on hospital beds) but I was about a few inches away from them.
I'm scared I contracted meningitis because my head is having weird pains. I have been stressed all day but I felt this pain suddenly.It comes and goes. Is this stupid? :shrug: Again I'm not sure he had meningitis I was just suspecting because of his state

cattia
08-07-17, 09:41
You are being completely irrational, and I say that without judgement as someone often thinks this way myself, it's just easier to recognise it in other people than in yourself. If the patient had a contagious condition, there is absolutely no way that they would have allowed them to be scanned close to other patients and as you say, they would have taken extreme precautions to ensure that they did not come into contact with other patients or staff unless they were properly protected. There is absolutely no reason to suspect that the man had meningitis, other than the fact that you're scared of it so it's the conclusion that your mind automatically jumps to. There are so many other conditions that he could have been suffering from. You really don't need to worry about contracting meningitis from him. The pain has come on because you're focusing on it.

dobbiemaster
08-07-17, 11:29
im the same as the waiting room ppl coughing etc freaks me out....but it is just the anxiety. if you had meningitis you would most likely be dead already as once it strikes most people die within 24 hours or so. you can get a vaccine against it though i had it for my children as there more at risk being so young.