PDA

View Full Version : Have I done the right thing!!!!1

yorkylover
12-05-07, 23:38
Well as some of you know I was supposed to go on holiday today.:weep:
My brother who has bipolar and is an alcoholic attemted suicide last night by taking an overdose of meds and drink.I went and saw him at hospital and it was very distressing.He had to be held down by security and then sedated.He was in a room with a mattress on the floor for his own safety.He was then moved to resuss,where he was all connected up to monitors and drips.:weep:
This isnt the first time he has done this,but this time was worse.He has had to kept sedated all day today,because when he came round he was violent due to the high levels of carbomazepine he had taken,He was seeing things.He fell out of bed and cut his head open,had to be sedated further.
He can not see the mental health team until the drugs have come out of his system and he can talk.
My parents want me to go away to Devon tomorrow.They said I need to get away.They are here for him and Im only a phone call away.They will keep me informed.
We have had this on going problem for over 20 years.Would I be selfish to go away.
I cant do much here but support my parents,but they want me to go.They know I need the break.
I coped really well in the hospital last night,a few times I felt the panic coming,but I controlled it.I had to visit the loo alot and I was reaching,but I think I did pretty well.
The hospital said they are not worried about him now,just waiting for the meds to come out of his system.
I feel exhausted,and I know I will worry when Im away but I have to think about my partner to.I just feel so awful going.
Something like this happens everytime I or my parents go away.He is doing as a cry for help I think.He takes the meds then tells someone hes done it.
I will probably go tomorrow,but I will miss you all here.I wish I had a lap top to take with me.
Thanks for all your support.:hugs:

spiral
13-05-07, 00:07
don't feel bad going, you be more support to your brother if you can come back refreshed. he has plenty of support there and you can cut your holiday short if he needs you. have a good time and don't feel guilty!
tc x

Phill2
13-05-07, 01:14
I have a brother that does the same thing
Go!!!!!:shades:

groovygranny
13-05-07, 01:16
Ellen,

You go! You have done everything that you could, and you shouldn't feel guilty.

You need some 'you' time now - and that is not selfish, it's just common sense.

You're in our thoughts and prayers, so we'll all be going with you, and don't forget - the jam goes on before the cream ok?

:flowers::flowers::flowers:

blackie
13-05-07, 11:15
Hiya
Go and try and relax and have a good time. There is nothing you can do at home. You parents want you to go so they would feel better if you went.
My brother was in hospital a few months back for a similer reason and there was nothing i could do to help. Although i did manage to go and see him which for an agorophobic is impressive.
Dont feel guilty because there is nothing for you to feel guilty about. And you can always phone to make sure everythings ok.
Have fun
Blackie

ade
13-05-07, 11:54
do you know the scenario in an aeroplane emergency?the point is,if you are travelling with a child and you need oxygen,you must put the mask on before the child,as without you it has no chance,so take some well earned oxygen !!and you will be stronger.take real care my love you need respite.
an ocean of love
ade xxxx:)

samc100
13-05-07, 13:56
I personally hope you go and have a holiday with your partner.
You spend an unselfish amount time helping your brother ( and I know you have been a fantastic support to your parents from your previous posts). You need some time with your partner because the pair of you deserve it and you are going to be no use to anyone if you don't get some time for you.

You are not responsible for your brother - he is. You have tried so much for him but sadly you can't resolve his issues and not going on hols is not going to alter anything for him.

Sadly I think your brother's issues will still be here when you get back but hopefully some external support will be set up so it is easier for your family.

Go and eat some scones and clotted cream please!

kazzie
14-05-07, 22:20
Hope You are now on your hols Ellen:yesyes:

Speak soon

Luv Kaz x x x:hugs:

samc100
17-05-07, 15:09
OOooooh it's looking good for Ellen having a holiday. Not seen her about here for a few days.

Hope you are stuffing your face with icecream,scones and clotted cream and having a lovely time with your bloke. X

Insomniac
17-05-07, 18:55
He's safe and being looked after. You can't do anything for him at the moment, so go take some time for yourself. You're not going to be that far away either.

You need to look after yourself too. And it will help you be more able to look after him when you return.

We'll all be thinking of you.

groovygranny
17-05-07, 20:15
Oh I hope so too samc100,:)

Hope she also remembered to put the jam on before the cream - she'll have a lot of explaining to do if she hasn't!! :shades::winks:

:flowers:

yorkylover
19-05-07, 17:29
http://www.fotosearch.com/thumb/Corbis/DGT368/TOE0036.jpgThe right way!!!!!!:yesyes:

Hi everyone,thank you so much for all your replies.
Iv just got back today.I had a great time.Weather wasnt to bad but could have been better.
I had a couple of moments of bad anxiety and panic, but I was wearing my wrist band and had ted near by,thought about everyone here and the support you have shown and I got over the episode.I wasnt going to let it beat me.I am so much better than this time last year.My partner was so pleased with me,said how well I had done.:yesyes:
My mum kept me informed about my brother.He is still in hospital.They have moved him to a different hospital with a mental health department.Changed his meds.He is in the best place.
Dont tell groovy granny,but I skipped the scone and had a rasberry cream turnover instead,but I would have put the jam on first if Id had one.!!!!!!!
:emot-yum: :emot-yum: :emot-yum:
Thank you for all your support, you are a great bunch here and I missed you all.:hugs:

honeybee3939
19-05-07, 19:03
Hi Ellen

So pleased to hear your holiday went well !!Sounds like you have made some great progress since the last holiday you had !!:)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j27/traibooth/well2Ddone2Dteddy.jpg

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

samc100
19-05-07, 20:21
Oh goodie - you had a good time. You did really well. Very jealous of you.

And glad your other half was his usual supportive self and he noticed you'd tried really hard.

Hope your parents are ok. And hope your brother improves.

groovygranny
20-05-07, 01:33
Hi Ellen...............tooo late!:lac: GG's already seen your treacherous report of how you chose a turnover above a genuine Devonshire Clotted Cream Tea:ohmy::ohmy:!!

Still, everyone makes mistakes now and again I suppose, so I forgive you:hugs:!

However, I don't know if I can extend the mercy to cover the colour you actually wrote the report in?:shades: I'll think about it !!

So glad you enjoyed yourself, you deserved it.......and so proud you coped so well with your little 'blips' :yesyes::yesyes:!!

Glad it's good news about your brother :)!

Thanks for sharing your news :hugs:

:flowers:

kazzie
20-05-07, 18:50
Well Done Ellen:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

Glad to hear You had a good time:yesyes:

Hope Your brother is better soon:hugs:

Thinking of You

Luv Kaz x x x:hugs:

Ps We missed you too:hugs: