PDA

View Full Version : Help! Super anxious and having panic attacks because I think my mom has ALS!

TinkrTonkr
10-07-17, 12:22
I don't know what to do, I'm incredibly scared right now, my mom is displaying classic symptoms of Bulbar ALS according to what I've read on ALSFORUMS.
for a year now she has complained of having thick mucus on her throat and can't swallow so she has to spit it. In the last couple months she is also complaining of leg cramps specially at night. What got me much more worried were the past 2 weeks. She choked at least 3 times while drinking, is yawning a lot, loud yawns even during speech (which is associated with ALS from what I've read on the forums over there) and in the past 2\3 days I noticed a slight slur, mostly noticeable on R's and S's. Noone noticed it yet because they are probably not paying as much attention as me. Yesterday I tested her jaw jerk reflex (i didn't tell her why i was testing it) and just a light tap would make her jaw jump which again leads me to thinking ALS.
Everything right now is pointing to ALS. I live alone with her (She's 52) and I don't know what to do, I guess I have to wait and see if it progresses, hopefully it doesn't. I'm super afraid. It's ironic that I was worried I could have ALS for so long and it might be my mother who has it. Damn I hope I'm totally wrong.

---------- Post added at 12:22 ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 ----------

My mum just arrived from work and she says she is constantly yawning even though she doesn't feel tired. Also speech seems slightly slurred...
I don't know if I can take it if she is diagnosed with ALS, I think I probably will kill myself, don't wanna see her suffer.

Fishmanpa
10-07-17, 12:47
I don't know what to do, I'm incredibly scared right now, my mom is displaying classic symptoms of Bulbar ALS according to what I've read on ALSFORUMS.

Please read this (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=196071)... especially the part about bulbar. And PLEASE stay away from the ALS forums!!

Positive thoughts

TinkrTonkr
10-07-17, 12:53
Read that already. I wouldn't be worried if there was no reason to, but the slurring combined with other symptoms are pointing towards bulbar Als...

Fishmanpa
10-07-17, 13:04
Read that already.

Perhaps read it again? Instead of hyper-focusing on yourself, you're projecting this to your mother. All that being said, if "she" is concerned, she should see her doctor.

Speech and swallowing issues

Many visitors fear bulbar onset. Generally speaking the first symptom of bulbar is slurred speech because the tongue does not work correctly. Sore throat, scratchy voice, food getting stuck are not bulbar symptoms and should be addressed by your doctor as they may indicate another issue but are NOT ALS. Saliva issues occur late in bulbar disease and noting excess saliva is NOT a sign of bulbar onset. The slurred speech of bulbar onset is persistent not a one- time or rare occurrence and will be noticed by others. If you are not being asked " are you drunk?" it is a good sign!

Complaints of difficulty swallowing and or a lump/ something in the throat are very common among our DIHALS visitors. Please look up globus and learn that it is a very common complaint especially among the stressed

Positive thoughts

TinkrTonkr
10-07-17, 13:25
I live alone with her, she is definitely slurring some words. She doesn't drink alcohol. She complained of mucus on throat she can't get rid of for a year and now she is slightly slurring. Also occasionally food goes into her nose. I know there are other conditions that can cause this but slurring + yawning and swallowing symptoms are concerning me. I don't wanna concern her so I haven't mentioned anything yet but if slurring gets worse i will let her know and let the doctors do their job. I'm quitting diazepam and olanzapine and going through withdrawal so these mum symptoms are making it worse. I love her too much, don't wanna lose her she is too young for that. :(

TinkrTonkr
10-07-17, 17:35
I don't know what to do, I'm desperate. I feel so anxious about this, I hope in the end she has no disease. I'd prefer to have it myself than watch her have this horrible disease I fear. I have a friend who is studying neurology, he's at second year so he doesn't know much yet but I asked him what did he think of my mother symptoms and he said she should go to a neurologist. Symptoms right now are slight speech slurring, that I notice, frequent throat clearing, ocasional coughing during meals\food going into nose\choking on water, yawning at the weirdest times (even during conversation) and leg cramps. I wonder if she could be suffering from anxiety but from what I know she was never a anxious person.

Fishmanpa
10-07-17, 23:12
PLEASE stay away from the ALS forums!!

I know you're scaredaboutmum but I see you didn't listen to that bit of advice :weep:

Positive thoughts

rima mohammad
11-07-17, 20:13
come on !! maybe it's acid reflux . those are silent relux or gerd symptoms u should have endoscopy . you and your mom . and also a neurologist to stop your anxiety and fear about this topic

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 19:03 ----------

if you visit a neurologist and didnt find anything wrong . so i think you will be fine again

TinkrTonkr
13-07-17, 11:41
Just wanted to say her symptoms disappeared since I posted, so I guess I can eliminate that thought off my mind. Thanks all for the replies and sorry for bothering you