PDA

View Full Version : Sore front of neck

BrokenGirl
10-07-17, 11:42
I noticed last night that the front of my neck/throat is sore to touch it on the left hand side. And of course with my HA being at an all time high it's really scareing me. I remember noticing something similar about 7 or 8 months ago.
I'm sorry but I just need a bit of reassurance. If it was something sinister wouldn't it have got much worse over the past few months? Surely I'd know it at this stage if something was wrong, wouldn't I?

maianixon
10-07-17, 20:44
I get that sometimes on the same spot and it's just from muscle tension in my neck & throat from stress/anxiety. It alarmed me the first time just because of HA but then I figured it cant mean anything dangerous (to my knowledge) so I just let it go. And I know I've got so much tension in my upper back, neck and jaw that tbf it didnt surprise me too much.. Muscle tension can sometimes produce some really weird random pains. Try to maybe do some stretching exercises and pay attention to your posture and mainly try to relax a little :)

BrokenGirl
11-07-17, 17:30
Thanks for the reply. And it did make me feel better, for a little while.
Can we really have muscle tension in the front of the neck/throat?
It's just off centre to the left hand side and more in the bottom half than the top half.
Every single pain or unexplained soreness sends me into another HA spiral.
I hate living like this.
I was just starting to make progress with counselling when I had to cancel it (financial reasons) so that's why I'm coming on here for reassurance, which I know isn't doing me any good but I just feel that until I can to back to my counselling again it's all I have :weep:

maianixon
11-07-17, 18:41
We can have it there from muscle tension, its because muscle tension reflects from one place to another. I was explained that in detail by a very good physiotherapist & chiropractor. I've had ear pain from muscle tension in my neck & jaw, pain reflects itself around. Also think about it if you fan have muscle tension on the back of your neck why not in front, its still all muscles. Or like you can have throat tightness or sore throat feeling from anxiety and its again caused by muscle tension. I'm not a doctor so I can't tell you whether its that exactly but it definitely was in my case and it was the same as you described.

Stewy
11-07-17, 23:45
Hi Brokengirl. I have a similar symptom and hopefully can make you feel better and share what has been helping me.

A couple of neck and head things are happening: I have pain in my cricoid cartilage when I turn my neck or press on things (like a push up motion) and also had a sore throat on left side along with ear pain on same side when I would swallow. There were no visible symptoms (inflammation, etc.). I decided to look into trigger points to see if that could be a cause. Found that there is a facial muscle (the masseter) that can cause ear pain if it tightens up and s traps a muscle. Also, there are muscles on the side of the neck that can cause pain in the neck and down the arms if they entrap muscles.

I can't post links yet because I don't have enough total posts but if you look up "trigger point massage for neck pain" Google probably won't return anything ominous (don't google any more than this since Dr. Google will almost certainly tell you you'll die a horrible death from your neck pain by next week).

I did massage on my masseter muscle for about 45 minutes and my ear pain was greatly reduced about an hour later and gone the next morning. Still have some pain in the cricoid cartilage but it does feel a bit better. That one is most likely related to the Globus I'm dealing with so I expect it'll take longer to resolve.