PDA

View Full Version : i get afib when I vomit is there a way to prevent this

Thelegend27
10-07-17, 18:19
So I'm 26 years old and I've had 2 episodes of afib since I was 23 both times were caused by vomiting, I had 2 echicardiograms, monitored both times on ekg for a few days, loads of blood work, chest x rays, and I was told my heart is healthy.

Well my doctor couldn't give me much information regarding my situation other than it's not something to worry about or even worth treating.

But I don't like spending time in the hospital for any reason as I'm sure nobody does, so is there a way I can help prevent the afib? Like certain positions I can sit or stand in while vomiting to help reduce the stress on the heart, or maybe steps to help prevent vomiting in the first place?

I'm suspecting a hiatal hernia being the culprit, as your stomach breaches your diaphragm and when you vomit it's pushing the stomach further up possibly into the heart this seems like it'd have a chance to create afib, and studies have linked hiatal hernias to afib, but my insurance situation limits what I can do right now, so the hernia will have to wait if there is one.

I'm writing this because I woke up nauseated from acid reflux and it made me a bit nervous, so I really need to get a grip on this thing because it makes my anxiety kick in overdrive.

TattooArtist
10-07-17, 19:03
At this point, it seems like you are blowing the risk to your heart way out of proportion. Seems like to might need to get a handle on the digestive situation, which as many will tell you, is usually anxiety related in HA people. Vomiting frequently is not a good thing for a variety of reasons. I think your efforts should focus on figuring out the reflux/vomiting thing. Your insurance should absolutely cover a visit to a gastroenterologist if it is necessary.