PDA

View Full Version : Fleas? (with links to picture!)

purplewitch
11-07-17, 03:21
Hey all,so today I was scrolling down facebook,and my friend shared an article about how there have been 3 cases of the Plague in New Mexico (I know it is reported there almost every year,and the surrounding countries too). I live nowhere near New Mexico,or the states surrounding. I live in New York,in an apartment,rural area,with two cats that I have had for years now.I don't think they have ever had fleas,there has never been a flea infestation or mouse infestation in my apartment (The mice that carry the flea cause the plague,so if an animal gets infected,you can too.) My cats go outside on my fire escape,on to the roof because I live on the top floor.They never bring in dead things (apart from waterbugs..gross lol.) Anywho,I am now worried I'm going to get the Plague from fleas that I don't even know if I have.
The picture I provided are little markings on me that are making me worried,this is on my back by the way.
http://imgbox.com/13EqQ4rv

ScaredLizard
11-07-17, 04:54
Those are not flea bites. And you definitely aren't going to get the plague.

purplewitch
11-07-17, 18:50
Those are not flea bites. And you definitely aren't going to get the plague.

I know it seems like a stupid thing to worry about. Last night I even fell asleep with a sock attached to this cut I got because I had no bandaids and I'm scared that the "fleas" (which I dont even know if I have) bit it and it enters the bloodstream and now...yknow
ugh

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:22 ----------

I hate this so much,I don't even wanna be near my cats because of this :weep: I love my cats but I'm so scared to go near them

ScaredLizard
12-07-17, 00:44
I know it seems like a stupid thing to worry about. Last night I even fell asleep with a sock attached to this cut I got because I had no bandaids and I'm scared that the "fleas" (which I dont even know if I have) bit it and it enters the bloodstream and now...yknow
ugh

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:22 ----------

I hate this so much,I don't even wanna be near my cats because of this :weep: I love my cats but I'm so scared to go near them

I have 4 cats and a dog. Trust me if you had fleas you would know it. It wouldn't be three random spots on your back that don't resemble flea bites. Don't neglect your furry kitties just because of your anxiety.

Are you in therapy for your anxiety?

purplewitch
12-07-17, 01:47
I have 4 cats and a dog. Trust me if you had fleas you would know it. It wouldn't be three random spots on your back that don't resemble flea bites. Don't neglect your furry kitties just because of your anxiety.

Are you in therapy for your anxiety?

Thanks lizard,currently I am but its a new place and their appointments are all screwed up,I have one every month which I don't really like but have to deal with unfortunately

Eventhesparrows
12-07-17, 04:50
So, first off, what you were reading wasn't about plague, it was about hantavirus...spread by fleas that bite mice....then it's spread to humans.

I live in New Mexico. I've come in direct contact with mice droppings and urine.

Yes, I had an intense 42 days living in freak out mode.

But that was almost 3 years ago, and I'm still here.

You're fine.

axolotl
12-07-17, 09:00
I think you've already explained why this fear is so irrational, so won't add to that. Buy your cats flea collars and put this out of your mind.