PDA

View Full Version : Any Tips?

Sue
07-11-04, 19:11
I need some advice please.

as many of you know, I was made redundant at the end of September after several months of being off sick. I was then offered a small part time job at the squash club where I am a member which I have been doing since the beginning of October. Its fine, very basic, very part time and therefore very little pay! Bit its been a great way to ease back in to work.

I have been looking around for other work in the last few weeks and applied for a job at the local library.

After filling in the application form, I expected to hear no more as it asked about number of sick days in the last 12 months. However, I have an interview on Wednesday and now I am terrified! Have had two major PAs in last couple of days after being PA free for weeks.

I have not been to an interview for 20 years and have no idea what to expect?!

Is anyone out there in recruitment? Can you give me some ideas what sort of things they may ask me? I am worried I will either; panic, not be able to speak or basically make a fool of myself.

I would really like the job and I know getting through the interview would be a huge confidence boost. I am just so worried and cant think about anything else.

Thanks in advance!

Sue

vernon
07-11-04, 20:17
hi sue, Sorry i have no information but if you want the job you go for it. I would imagine a labrary would be a great place to work for someone with anxiety. Harder said than done, but realy try to relax and forget about it until the time for the interview comes. You have nothing at all to lose, If you get the job I am sure you will feel real good and happy, but even if you dont get the job you have been and know what to ecpect with another Interview. So try not to worry sue whether you get the job or not you have wone. take care Vernon

nomorepanic
07-11-04, 20:40
Sue

You did so well to go back to work at the squash club and that must have been a good confidence booster for you in itself.

Can you tell me what sort of job it is in the library?

The sort of things they are likely to ask are :

"why do you want to work in a library"
"do you have any previous experience"
"why do you want to leave your current job"

If I think of any more I will add them.

Nicola

twister
07-11-04, 23:19
My boyfriend works in a library (although a government one). They may ask about internet etc as they are keen on advancing technologies. Also they will just want to know if you are good with people, helping out with enquiries etc. Don't panic, even if it doesnt go great it will be good experience.

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

Meg
07-11-04, 23:33
Hey is this is the person who was so worried about going to the squash club at all - never mind to work ....

Good for you Sue . Congratulations on your progress.

Keep all your sucesses in mind during your interview...

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.

seh1980
08-11-04, 00:07
hi Sue,

Most interviews are pretty relaxed, especially at a library I would have thought. They are bound to just want to see what your personality is, etc. You have done so well lately and I'm sure you will be fine! Best of luck!!

Sarah :D

davebrum
08-11-04, 00:13
hi su
dress up like you have never done before - what ever they ask think of something positive in your life - be truthfull unless you think you shouldt be - this is what all interviewies do. dont tell too much be confident as much as you can be - if you want this job you can do it. you know you can other wise you wouldnt be asking us. i know you can do it. good luck
xx david

believe in the gifts you hold

ellenclarke81
08-11-04, 15:57
This might not work for everyone but when i have had to cope with similar situations i found it helped to begin the interview by apologising and explaining that i was feeling very nervous about the interview. The reaction you will tend to get is one fo sympathy and appreciation of your honesty. I then felt like they were on my side instead of scrutinising me and felt more relaxed. They realise people are often nervous and will make an effort to make you feel at ease. Otherwise, your anxiety may make you appear defensive and cold as they dont know what it is.
As i say, this might not be right for everyone,maybe positive thinking is better for some.

Sue
08-11-04, 17:45
Thank you all so much. I have kept so busy today that I am exhausted now!

Nicola, the job is just a basic library assistant, dealing with public seems to be a big focus thay have. I did this all the time at the bank and was good at it but of course, have much less confidence at the moment.

Its 3 days a week, fixed contract until end of March next year. My plan would be that if I got it, I could still do some shifts at the squash club on other days.

I am so nervous though. Perhaps I should do as Ellen says and be up front. I am pretty sure they will ask me about my sick leave as it was mentioned on the application form and I tried to offer some sort of explanation on there.

Am busy tomorrow as well, got college in the morning and out with my Mum in the afternoon so hopefully will keep mind off it.

Feel like I should be preparing, but dont know what to do. Dont even know what to wear! Went to the shops this morning but everything seemed so expensive (have avoided shops for ages-have prices gone up or is just my budget gone down!!?) and I dont exactly have a lot of cash floating about at the moment!!

anyway, I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Sue

sarah
08-11-04, 17:57
Hiya Sue

Another question to add to the list that I have just been asked myself in my first interview in 13 years......

"Tell me a little about yourself"

Its a very ambiguous question that completely throws you but if you are prepared, you will have answers for them.

The way I answered was probably all wrong but it worked because ive got the job, I started by waffling about how old I was, where I lived etc, got confused and decided to start on the job history side of things, waffled a bit more then slapped my hands on the table and said "ok I have to stop here and come clean, I want a clean slate and dont want to hide anything from you. I have panic attacks, lots of them, it makes me feel bad and anxious but it doesnt stop me from being good at my job, I just might need a moment or two every now and again to compose myself".
she amazed me by looking me straight in the eye and saying "yes, I know you do and its not a problem for me if its not a problem for you"
and that was the end of that, I relaxed completely and we had a good chat/interview.

HOW COOL IS THAT?????????

Im not suggesting that you want to tell them anything but just from experience, interviewers arent all scary people...I used to interview people myself and most of the time I was as nervous as they were...lol

take care
and GOOD LUCK!!

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

Sue
08-11-04, 18:57
Sarah, thats brilliant!

I will definately give that question some thought and maybe offer some information on my anxiety/pas if it comes up.

Thanks for that.

Congratulations on your new job, have you started yet? What is it?

Sue