PDA

View Full Version : Balancing anxiety symptoms with a real diagnosis

lofwyr
11-07-17, 04:25
So with the diagnosis of an aortic aneurysm I am a touch rattled, but not like you would think. I have been assured it is nowhere near bursting and I have months to get the surgery done. I will probably need an aortic valve and aortic root replacement. I am actually okay with that, because I have to be. Also, it helps that it has become a very safe procedure, for the most part, and people recover pretty quickly all things considered. I have a great support system of friends and family, and I am doing all I can to be upbeat and positive.

But enter anxiety symptoms. I have, just since the day of diagnosis a week ago, developed heavy legs, periodic random pains, especially in my upper back, fatigue, along with headaches (though I am sure those are from caffeine withdrawal as I had to go cold turkey). I am now hypersensitive to every sore muscle and back problem, to every time my legs feel heavy, none of which should changed by anything going on in my body, other than anxiety.

So a question for those with a real diagnosis who also suffer with anxiety, any tricks to separate he two? To reconcile the imaginary and real? I was completely asymptomatic prior to diagnosis, so I strongly suspect this is all the tension and anxiety, and mostly I just need to relax, which consciously I feel I am doing very well. Unconsciously, I obviously have issues.