PDA

View Full Version : Blood pressure worry

willous1
11-07-17, 10:44
I have just had a screening. When I went in it was 169/97, 1 minute later I had it retaken and it was 141/85. I am worried but is it positive that it came down so quickly and could it just be me thinking about having it done? Ive lost weigh and changed my diet, I also went doctors the other week and it was okay.

Steve_73
11-07-17, 13:13
Hey there.

I would imagine its White Coat Anxiety brought on by your screening, the fact that your BP dropped so much is likely to be the anxiety calming down.

The fact that you were at the doctors previously and the readings were fine should give you peace of mind.

old fred
11-07-17, 13:58
Hey there.

I would imagine its White Coat Anxiety brought on by your screening, the fact that your BP dropped so much is likely to be the anxiety calming down.

The fact that you were at the doctors previously and the readings were fine should give you peace of mind.

I agree with this I have regular BP checks at doctors and they always do it twice knowing the first one will be high.

willous1
11-07-17, 23:15
Thanks but my anxiety is bow back.

I got the home minutes out for the first time in ages amd it's varying between 140-150 over 90-97. I have had half a bottle of wine so that may not help but the anxiety is back. Apart from a blip I've had a year feeling well and now look. I don't want to see doctor. When I went the other week I was really nervous and it was 118 over 78 can being nervous have the opposite effect. I hate this

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:10 ----------

I don't know whether to calm and forget for 6 months or just see doctor even though I saw him 3 weeks back.

---------- Post added at 22:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:38 ----------

Can anyone help. I've just taken it again as couldn't sleep with this...128/89 was my last reading after a few attempts. Now I'm reading it should be low at night.

---------- Post added at 23:15 ---------- Previous post was at 22:43 ----------

I just got it down to 124/82 and 121/84. IF I suffered would I be able to do that with my anxiety. I feel like crying with happiness after feeling so low earlier.

ScaredLizard
12-07-17, 00:51
128/89 is really good for someone having severe anxiety. The newest American guidelines for blood pressure is under 140/90 for adults 30-55 So you are very much ok

willous1
12-07-17, 22:23
I appreciate your reply.

My wife went to bed early and I've spent the last hour doing my blood pressure constantly. I tried listening to calm music and everything. The systolic is not too bad and went into the 120s but the diastolic went anywhere between 90 and 101. I keep doing this to myself. I can't stop, my life was miserable today where I only slept for a couple of hours last night and I can't be myself at work. I got a Mamagers position amd have changed everything in the last year. My life has been great and then one thing comes up. I don't know whether to go to the doctors and it may start me off or say in my head I will not touch a monitor for 6 months, throw the home one away and make lifestyle changes necessary. Why was it so low at the doctors when I was anxious? It was lower last night and nearly got a perfect reading after resting but I tried everything to rest tonight. I feel like a black cloud is hanging over me like before. I have lost two bloody stone in 3 months for my health but look!

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 21:53 ----------

I just managed to take more readings and near the end actually get into reading something. BP hit 120/88!! The fact that I can get it down, is that Good? With lifestyle changes I can do this I hope

ScaredLizard
12-07-17, 22:48
How are you taking your pressure? 120/88 is good. I think you need to stop stressing. To take your blood pressure you need to sit calmly and not talk for 5 minutes with your feet on the ground. This will give you an accurate pressure. Talking and crossing your legs will make it go up!

willous1
12-07-17, 22:49
Thanks scared lizard. I am sitting with my arm on a table watching YouTube to relax. IF it was an issue would it be harder to get it down? It starts high and the more I can relax the better it goes.

ScaredLizard
12-07-17, 22:51
Thanks scared lizard. I am sitting with my arm on a table watching YouTube to relax. IF it was an issue would it be harder to get it down? It starts high and the more I can relax the better it goes.

If it goes down the more you relax? That signifies it's anxiety and you are scared while taking your pressure. I've had it happen a lot

willous1
13-07-17, 06:48
Thank you. I woke up and took it and it was 120/84, I then felt slightly more nervous and it went to 124/88.