PDA

View Full Version : Asking for an emotional support animal?

.Poppy.
11-07-17, 17:20
I am going to be moving into a new apartment in less than a month. This is going to be my first time living alone, and it's also my first "real move" in that there's no real reason I will ever live at home again. I've been very excited, but all of this is now hitting me hard and I'm becoming increasingly afraid/unsettled. I'm also concerned that I'm going to "crash" when I get there and fall into another cycle of depression (based on my history this is very likely). I've been trying to set up an appointment with a therapist but have been hitting dead ends so far.

In addition to that I've been having what I think are panic attacks but I'm not sure, so I need to see about going to my doctor and asking him what he thinks. So I feel the rumblings of my HA starting to resurface.

Anyway, when I was apartment hunting I did so with the knowledge that I have a dog and a cat and would need to find pet friendly housing. It wasn't easy - I live in a college town, so things aren't super cheap and they are often in terrible shape. I finally found a place that was nice, reasonably priced, near work, and was ambiguous about pets -- I am for sure allowed to have a cat, and when I asked the landlord he said it was fine to have my dog as long as he wasn't a nuisance and that other tenants have had dogs there in the past.

Great news, right? Of course now I'm going postal that maybe he didn't mean it or he'll change his mind or something else awful will happen.

I talked with a friend and she suggested asking my psychiatrist about having my dog as an ESA - he wouldn't be a service dog, but he would be allowed to live with me (which is all I need). I don't mind paying pet rent - in fact I already have - I just want him there as I do rely heavily on him and his companionship.

I have my psych appointment next week - but I have no idea how to approach the subject and this too has me all over the place.

Sorry this got so long, I have a bad habit of being wordy. Does anyone have any advice for how to approach the conversation? Is this a good idea?

MyNameIsTerry
12-07-17, 01:42
How does the law come into this? Does it mean the landlord has to enter into an agreement to allow the ESA to be present or is the ESA protected and the landlord has to comply?

The landlord seems amiable to your pets. If you go the ESA route, does he have any objections? If he feels locked into it, would he feel differently?

If additional charges apply that are payable to the landlord, he may be open to the exra income. Does it bring any headaches for him though with the local authorities?

If you have to pay extra for the ESA, it seems this will in some way be an add-on to the tenancy agreement. I would be sure about your rights first in case tis gives a landlord additional ways to remove a tenant.

.Poppy.
12-07-17, 02:34
Terry, the only objection my landlord seemed to have with a dog is the possibility that he'd bark (he doesn't) and disturb others. No extra fees.

ESAs fall under the Fair Housing Act, meaning that landlords have to allow them in, and no fees need to be paid. I don't care about the fee though, I just don't want to have him turn around and say "never mind, dog has to go". My dad works for the city and seemed pleased with this landlord, especially considering some in the area aren't so great.

I'm not sure what would be better, to first ask my push for a letter and then deal, or email my landlord and remind him that my dog would be coming with, possibly as an emotional support animal.

Either way, I would stress that if my dog were for some reason noisy, he would not remain. But I don't think that will be a problem.

MyNameIsTerry
12-07-17, 06:18
Are landlords allowed to turn prospective tenants down if they explain the ESA when seeing the property? Or would that be discrimination?

The only reason I thought to ask this is because some landlords like as easy a life as possible and may turn people down if it means doing a bit extra. This guy doesn't sound like that though and maybe you could sound him out by saying it is something you are thinking of?

What does your dad think about this? He obviously thinks he's a decent landlord and knows the area from his work so he seems the best person to ask.

braindead
12-07-17, 09:16
how will you dog act on his own in a new apartment and environment, have you thought about he may not like it, especially if your out all day at work, i cannot see a dog just sitting there all day sleeping if he hears a noise in the other apartments he may bark thinking its you coming home. I have 2 dogs// well 3 most days has i look after my daughters while she is a work for reasons i just mentioned:shades:

.Poppy.
12-07-17, 17:03
He's a pretty mellow dog, not really a barker at all. I work about 4 blocks away from the apartment and will be coming home on my lunch breaks, so he won't be home alone any longer than 4 hours. Plus we will be going to training classes throughout the week + parks + hiking + potentially agility...I'm really not worried about him getting bored. He's home alone all day now as we live too far from home to come home at lunch and he's fine.

Additionally, if he's a problem he won't remain. I just don't anticipate it being one. I'm also planning on easing him into it - not bringing him until I'm unpacked and settled, and then only for the weekends so that he isn't alone too much and I can gage how he's responding.

Terry, no, they legally cannot turn you down for ESAs or service animals. The main difference between the two is that service dogs must be trained to perform specific tasks and are allowed to go -anywhere- in public. ESAs don't need special training and are only allowed in housing and on airplanes.

I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and email my landlord, reminding him that he okayed me having a dog, but that said dog will be different than the dog I was originally going to bring (which is true) and may potentially be an ESA, but that is not set in stone yet. I'll probably just say that I haven't requested a letter because it wasn't previously necessary and it may not be if I am allowed to have my pet with me anyway.

Fingers crossed. I'm going to send the email this morning and my anxiety will probably be sky-high until he answers.

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 15:59 ----------

I sent the email. I figured that way, if he agreed I wouldn't have to approach the topic with my psych, but if he had any reservations I can still do so and get the letter.

Still super anxious though, hopefully he answers quickly and with good news.

.Poppy.
13-07-17, 19:31
Just a quick update: I emailed my landlord. He didn't elaborate too much, but basically said that as long as Raleigh isn't a disturbance, he can live with me.

I saved the email and will be printing it out as well.