PDA

View Full Version : Flying ants infestation in house

phil06
12-07-17, 02:18
I came back tonight to around 200 in my spare room. What causes them? I removed them all and called pest control for tomorrow.

It went on my clean washing so I now have to rewash but I will now worry these ants will be in my washing machine and I need to bin clothes? :blush::ohmy:

Phuzella
12-07-17, 10:33
They're only ants. Honestly no need to bin your clothes :)

Bigboyuk
12-07-17, 11:20
It could be weather related thing as we have had quite a lot of warm weather this year, They certainly cant cause you any harm :) As for your washing machine put it on rinses and flush them through And I second that no need to bin your clothes and after pest control have been they will be gone. Cheers

phil06
12-07-17, 14:54
Well I checked the washing and can't see any.

Will the washing machine get rid of any? I worry with my OCD I will be crawling with ants. :ohmy:

Bigboyuk
12-07-17, 15:01
Well I checked the washing and can't see any.

Will the washing machine get rid of any? I worry with my OCD I will be crawling with ants. :ohmy: Yes it will just put it on a rinse cycle any that are lurking in the machine will be gone for sure :) Cheers

Stewy
13-07-17, 01:14
I used to do pest control many years ago and I can provide some insight. Ants come in for a few possible reasons... It's very dry outside and they're looking for water; it's been raining too much and they're escaping the water; they're foraging for food. I had them coming in through the corner of a window about a month ago when we had very heavy rains. They eventually just move on because houses really aren't their preferred environment.

Flying ants occur annually (at least here in Florida). This is how the colony spreads out and establishes new colonies. The flying ones won't be around long and they likely won't establish a colony within your house if there isn't a source of water (not talking about the faucet or sink - more like a roof leak or constantly dropping pipe).

You can contact a pest control company if you're concerned. They'll likely put out bait stations that will attract the ants that take poisoned bait back to the rest of the colonry. Really nothing that can't be remedied pretty easily.

phil06
17-07-17, 22:52
I got pest control out and they treated it with some gel. They said they take it back to the nest.

Had no ants for 5 days and tonight more came but all died does that mean it's working?

Stewy
18-07-17, 01:17
The gel is bait. Sometimes it is in the stations I mentioned and sometimes they just put out some beads of it (usually inside electric boxes or under countertops inside of cabinets). It'll take a little while but if they're legs are pointing towards the ceiling, it's working.

Toby2000
18-07-17, 04:28
Try to seal cracks in walls or anything so they can't get in

Bigboyuk
18-07-17, 07:58
I got pest control out and they treated it with some gel. They said they take it back to the nest.

Had no ants for 5 days and tonight more came but all died does that mean it's working? Yes it's working :) Cheers

axolotl
18-07-17, 09:48
It's just that time of year - the winged ants leave the nest to establish new colonies. It's an event that only lasts a day or two. They won't be interested in your house, you were probably unlucky to have a nest nearby and will have just bumbled in.

Iwant2bhealthy
18-07-17, 10:17
I had a similar issue 2 years ago. The ants nested in the wooden frame of my garden door, and that's where they were flying out from. Poisoning the nest solved our problem.

Sent from my SM-G800H using Tapatalk