PDA

View Full Version : Common cold or lymphoma??

SeagullTerror
13-07-17, 02:43
So earlier this week I caught a cold, I have green/yellow mucus, a stuffy nose, difficultly swallowing/breathing (which can come from) my uvulitits or aka uvula swelling). And jaw and ear pain. Now, these symptoms do come and go, and I have have difficulty swallowing/breathing since the first of June. I'm going to an ENT on Monday, does this sound like Lymphoma??? I also have two lumps on the left side of my neck, they're smaller than a pea. And I have a runny nose (sometimes) and a clogged ear. I also had a blood test and a chest and throat x-ray done a month ago. It all came back clear.

There's a site floating around saying that these cold like symptoms can indicate lymphoma. Is that true?

Careful1
13-07-17, 03:26
Your symptoms do not sound at all like lymphoma to me but then again I am not a Dr and luckily you will be seeing one soon. I have an appt with my ent 2marro for swollen lymph nodes behind my left ear and going down the left side of my neck for 2 months that are not painful and not caused from any kind of infection or cold.
It seems yours may be swollen due to your recent cold like symptoms.
Enlarged lymph nodes are not cancer detectors, they are part of the immune system and it's their job to filter out the bad stuff and it would actually be a bad thing if they didn't enlarge accordingly. There are many causes of enlargement mostly bacteria infection, viral and even some auto immune disorders. They rarely enlarge due to cancer. Drs don't seem to worry about that possibility until they are about 2 or 3cm (pea size is rather small) and even then the only way to know is through biopsy preferably removal of the entire node so remember you don't have cancer unless a pathology report says you do.
Lastly, there are some 152 different types of cancers, out of those only 2 are lymphoma. Blood cancers are rather rare.

Try not to worry, I won't get into the most common symptoms of lymphoma but be assured your symptoms at this time do not match. I would refrain from googling as well, this will only fuel your fears as Google seems to give everyone a deadly diagnosis and every symptom you could possibly Google will eventually lead to some form of cancer. Another good piece of advice is to leave the nodes be. Do not poke at them or constantly check to see if they are getting bigger as this will only further enlarge them and prevent them from shrinking back to normal size.

Keep your appt with ent and if you suffer from some form of anxiety perhaps also see your GP for help managing it...

Best wishes