PDA

View Full Version : Elevated body temp - low grade fever?

Pinna
13-07-17, 10:34
I've been battling elevated/ fluctuating body temperature these past 8-9 months.

First noticed it when I realised my hands and feet (which previously always used to be cold) were feeling warmer than usual. So I started taking my temperature every now and then, and realised that it would often go up to 37.2 C (99 F) during the afternoon/evening. (I think my "normal" temp is about 36.8 C (98.3 F).

Obviously, I started panicking and thought I had some sort of cancer (thanks, Google!), so I went in for a blood test 2 weeks ago - all indicators were within range and there were no significant changes from another blood test done about a year ago. I also tested normal for thyroid function - I previously had hyperthyroidism, which seems to have resolved itself.

However, I've continued to take my temp almost obsessively since then and now my temperature seems to be all over the place! When I wake up it's always between 36.3-36.6 C (97.3-97.6 F), and then climbs steadily during the day, sometimes peaking early afternoon and at other times in the late evening at 37.5 C (99.5 F). The peak temperature never lasts long. When I check again after an hour or so, it's back to 37.2 or so. By nighttime, just before bedtime, it drops to "normal" or below - 37 C (98.6 F).

I am in total panic zone and am now also convinced I can feel two slightly swollen lymph nodes (firm-ish and not tender) just under my left ear and another 1-2 in the groin region. I'm a 32 year old woman with no other symptoms - no weight loss, no fatigue, no night-sweats, no rashes, etc.

My question is: would this be considered a low grade fever? I definitely think my temperature (especially for the last two weeks, combined with the swollen nodes) is higher than usual for me by about at least a couple of degrees.

If this is a low-grade fever, does it seem like the sort of fever that indicates cancer? I understand that you guys aren't docs, but I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with elevated/ fluctuating body temperature - and what it turned out to be.

Also, any recos on what types of tests I should ask for? I have a doctor's appointment next week. I have read too many stories online about doctors who simply ignored symptoms and delayed diagnosing serious conditions, so I would like to be able to advocate for myself effectively.

Thanks so much in advance!

Bigboyuk
13-07-17, 11:35
Hi Personally these are normal fluctuations in body temps Every bodys temp wont be dead on 98.4F but there are parameters and yours while they do vary they don't vary greatly and are pretty normal if you follow? In other words you aren't suddenly going from 98.4F too 100F Or the other way down to say 96F. As for further tests well you already had blood and thyroid done and all is ok Ask for another blood test as it's been 12 months are you on any meds? Cancer nah you are ok :) Oh one last thing Stop Dr Googling as they are far from helpful and is known to raise HA problems big time so stay away for this Cheers

Pinna
17-07-17, 08:45
Hi there! Thanks so much for answering. Yes, think I really need to stop Googling these symptoms - everything seems to lead to cancer!!

The thing that's worrying me is that I will have my "normal" temp for a few weeks, but then it randomly fluctuates upwards by about 0.5 C. Maybe just hormones or random infections? Anyway, I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow. Hope to get some clarity!