PDA

View Full Version : Cousin 35 bowel cancer -genetic link

MichelleD
13-07-17, 12:42
Hi all,

long time lurker, first time posting. I have IBS symptoms with months now and more recently bleeding from what I think is a fissure or hemorrhoid. My worry is that my first cousin was diagnosed with bowel cancer at 35 and I'm trying not to panic and think the worst. From what I read online, having a second degree relative means a 3 - 6 fold increase. I'm not sure what that means. Just wondering what kind of screening should I be looking at getting, colonoscopy or something similar ? Thanks in advance.

Fishmanpa
13-07-17, 14:17
Sorry to hear about your cousin's diagnosis. My brother in law got it at 40yo. As far as screening? That's a question for your GP. Under normal circumstances, 50yo is the magic number for your first colonoscopy. I would discuss it with your GP and follow his/her advice.

Positive thoughts

floridagirl1984
25-07-17, 14:54
sorry to hear that. :hugs:, i work at a Gastroenterology office for a few years and we would recommend testing if it were an immediate family like your mother, father, sister or brother. being that it is your cousin you dont have a high change of cancer. Hopefully that gives you some piece of mind :)