PDA

View Full Version : Birth Control Induced anxiety?

wanderingtheworld91
13-07-17, 15:01
Sorry if this isn't the right place but I need some advice.

I recently got a new boyfriend and we had unprotected sex and I took the Morning After Pill. In the following months my anxiety really was terrible, I was convinced I had HIV (I take yearly tests), Syphillis and all the things that could possibly make my healthy (also has yearly tests) boyfriend ill. I would worry about constantly, I am one of those lucky people who can sleep when anxious.

Overthinking is a serious problem and I have had this since I was 12, I am now 25. I have never received treatment and feel like this should change.

Anyway, I am starting to take a progestin only pill, a different progestin to the one in Plan B, I took this before when I was younger and I have always had problems with irritability and mood swings and didn't feel this particular brand exacerbated it.

I need to take this pill, if I don't we will have unprotected sex anyway (heat of the moment) and I will take the morning after pill.

My question is, I need to take control of this overthinking and mood swings anyway. Any advice to counteract the effects of the pill? The effects that i feel are in my head anyway since I always have this!

Benjammin69
13-07-17, 16:44
Sorry to sound negative but if you understand that unprotected sex causes your health anxiety and you worry to the levels that you think you would catch something is it not just a smart idea to not have unprotected sex? U r playing with fire and eventually you will get burnt. In terms of the contraceptive pill yes it does and ca have an impact on people's moods and behaviours but there are other methods out there which you could choose... also you can't go through life skipping pills and taking morning after pill. My advice - go to your family planning doctor and explain all and see what best solution they offer you ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

panic_down_under
13-07-17, 22:33
Sorry if this isn't the right place but I need some advice.

Welcome to No More Panic, :welcome:

Overthinking is a serious problem and I have had this since I was 12, I am now 25. I have never received treatment and feel like this should change.

...My question is, I need to take control of this overthinking and mood swings anyway. Any advice to counteract the effects of the pill? The effects that i feel are in my head anyway since I always have this!

Oral contraceptive can exacerbate anxiety disorders and depression so the best course is to treat the underlying disorder with either medication, usually antidepressants, or with one of the cognitive and/or behavioural (CBT, REBT, etc), or mindfulness therapies.

The first step should be to see a doctor for a full medical checkup to rule out any organic causes, and assuming this finds nothing significant s/he will access your mental state and if necessary devise a treatment plan for you.