PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack on an airplane

Chi317
13-07-17, 18:35
Hey guys first post here :)
I've struggled with GAD for about 5 years now. It sort of all started with a major panic attack I had in a lecture hall in college that culminated in me passing out and whole lot of attention being put on me and people thinking I died. Since then I've been working on ways around it. I now take sertralin and it helps but lately it doesn't really help at all and I'm scared to increase to 100mg.
Anyways last night I was on a 4 hour flight to the west coast of the us and I panicked and passed out on the plane. This was The first public faint since the one 5 years ago. It was terrifying and literally the manifestation of one of my biggest fears. I have to take a plane back home in 4 days and am so scared. I would love some advice on how to handle my next flight and an upcoming 8 hour flight to Europe next month.
I have never let anxiety stop me from traveling but oy vey was this a rough experience. The flight attendants and nearby passengers were all incredibly nice and helpful.

meant2live
13-07-17, 20:14
Could you be prescribed some type of sedative? Will someone be with you?

up a ladder
17-07-17, 21:25
Diazapam works for me. I still hate the idea of flying and avoid it as much as I can, but when it has to happen I take it. It does not help with the anticipatory anxiety but it does with the flight.
Best of luck with your trip

JJT
18-07-17, 22:53
I would get re-checked.. I cant say its not possible because I am not a doctor... I have had panic attacks for 40 years... and have done extensive reading on the subject. I have NEVER heard of someone passing out from a panic attack... Passing out is usually because of a vagal response and or drop in blood pressure.. Panic attacks create higher blood pressure usually... so hmm that one has me perplexed.
I have heard of the fear of passing out from a panic attack... but nobody actually passing out.
Best to you!

Montyzoo
19-07-17, 16:46
Hi. I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with panic attacks. I understand how distressing it is. I suffered with panic attacks for many years. It would happen without warning - a sudden realisation, hyperventilation, heart beating out of my chest, culminating in lying on the floor curled up in a ball, my heart beating reaaally slow (very scary!), drenched in a cold sweat and unable to move. But the memories don't scare me because if I were to experience the sudden onset of panic, i am confident I could shut it down. And confidence is the key.

The first thing to ask yourself is, what's the worst that could happen? (As long as you don't put yourself in situations where fainting poses a significant danger such as driving). The people around you are naturally concerned and take care of you, and you wake unharmed. You may even be bruised - but your ego doesn't have to be!!!

You are a caring and sensitive person. Your capacity for powerful emotions, positive or negative, is part of who you are. And you should never ever be ashamed of who you are. Quite the contrary, be proud. Accept that panic attacks are simply a part of your life and, as it stands, part of you!

When you are ready to accept yourself as you are, you'll feel comfortable informing those around you that there's a tiny chance you could faint, friends, colleagues and sometimes strangers - like someone you sit next to on a plane! Tell them what to do if it happens and tell them not to panic! This is you being in control!

This probably sounds like a lot to take in! Take it one day at a time. Eventually you might find that fear is replaced by mere apprehension. And if you're not afraid, it will be less likely to happen. For me I was able to get to the stage where - in that split second - I could look dispassionately upon the part of me that was in panic. And I realised I could say NO!

I hope you find something useful in what I've described, and apologise in advance if you don't. I realise people experience anxiety and panic in different ways. I just thought maybe it could help :)

---------- Post added at 16:46 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

JJT fainting is a natural response to panic for some people. My wife went through a phase, which fortunately only lasted a few months, where it would happen to her. (She was off work with stress from being bullied at the time). Its actually a survival response!

Also JJT please try to consider how you could make someone feel by saying what you said. You could really scare and upset someone. Everyone's experience of panic is different.

Chi317
22-07-17, 01:18
Yeah, honestly JJT, I think you should end comments with "I'm not a doctor". You shouldn't be posting medical hypothesis on a forum about panic attacks. It's extremely distressing and not at all constructive. If you don't think my first thought is about my physical health, then you know nothing about this topic. But I've been to doctors and they've checked, so thanks so much for your concern.
The rest of you, I genuinely appreciate the advice. You're a sweet community. I made it home after that trip with no problems and just like a very intense awareness of my emotions. I told myself it's better to remain aware of everything I'm feeling and take care of it immediately. I listened to podcasts, watched movies and read mags. Literally every distraction possible lol.

braindead
22-07-17, 09:51
FAINTING is natures way of shutting you body down while you regain your strength. When working has a bricklayer i used to work at light speed because of my chronic anxiety , i used to pass out or faint whatever you want to call it at rare times, so of course you can faint from panic attack or anxiety attack:wacko: